Search for the source of asbestos
The family of a Sunderland woman who died from Mesothelioma is appealing to her former colleagues to help solve the mystery of how she was exposed to asbestos.
Maureen Bell, then 65, was admitted to Sunderland Royal Hospital in November 2004 for pain relief following her diagnosis with the asbestos-related disease Mesothelioma. Mrs Bell's symptoms worsened and she died on 4 February 2005.
However, Mrs Bell was never exposed to asbestos in her private life and her family has turned to leading north east personal injury firm Irwin Mitchell Solicitors to help find out when the exposure took place.
Irwin Mitchell's Neil Wilkinson, the solicitor representing Mrs Bell's family said "A review of Mrs Bell's career history indicated several jobs where asbestos exposure could have taken place."
Mrs Bell left school in 1953 aged 15 worked for four weeks in a sewing factory at Fencehouses known as Hires.
Later, she worked at GEC in Newton Aycliffe in 1965 for two years, producing telephone components. Weeks after leaving GEC, Mrs Bell began working at RW Toothill Limited, a furniture manufacturer, in Newton Aycliffe for a further 10 weeks.
The remainder of Mrs Bell's working life was spent in general stores in Durham which are unlikely to be the source of asbestos exposure.
Mr Wilkinson said: Mesothelioma claims are very reliant on witnesses coming forward and I ask that if anyone worked with Maureen Bell to come forward and share any information that they may have. Mrs Bell's life was cut short due to unnecessary exposure to asbestos and the family are seeking answers as to why this happened.
If anyone has any information that may help, they can contact Neil Wilkinson on 0191 2790100.