Our expert asbestos lawyers have secured a six-figure settlement for Pamela, whose husband sadly passed away due to mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos while working as a joiner.
David Givens died on 16th August 2015, aged just 63. In February 2012, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, which affects the lining of the lungs and is caused by exposure to asbestos.
David asked our specialist lawyers to investigate where he was exposed to asbestos, and why his employers had not done more to protect him from its effects. Unfortunately, we couldn't find any answers at the time.
After David's death, his widow Pamela asked our asbestos-related illness lawyers to look at his case again. We were able to deliver a positive outcome just over a year later, securing a six-figure settlement for Pamela and her and David's grandchildren: Kelly, Christopher, Mark and David.
This end to the legal action was only possible after Pamela appealed to David's former colleagues from John Cummings and Son, a building contractor in Sunderland. David's colleagues were able to tell us about the presence of asbestos at the company.
Pamela's legal team believed that this is where David came into contact with the fatal asbestos dust. His uncle, Ronnie, had also worked for the firm as a foreman and also died of asbestos-related cancer in the 1990s.
Emma Tordoff, the specialist asbestos disease lawyer representing Pamela, said:
"This case is sadly like a number we are involved in, with a person going on to develop a very serious condition and sadly pass away as a result of asbestos exposure which is believed to have occurred several decades ago."
"We hope that the settlement we have secured will enable Pamela and her children to try and move on with their lives following David's tragic passing at only 63."
Pamela, who had been married to David for almost 35 years when he passed away, said:
"Although I am happy that the legal action has reached a positive conclusion, nothing is going to bring back my husband and this is still something I find myself having to come to terms with."
"I hope that David's story will help raise awareness of mesothelioma and make people think twice before they open up themselves to asbestos exposure.
"Finally, I want to say a sincere and heartfelt thank you to all of David's former colleagues who came forward and provided my legal team with the vital information that enabled this to reach a positive conclusion."
Our expert asbestos lawyers can provide you with free initial advice if you or a loved one has suffered due to contracting mesothelioma. See our Mesothelioma Claims page for more information.
Back to Client Stories