Medical Negligence Lawyers Secure Settlement For Daughter Of Well-Known Former Haulier
A daughter is calling for lessons to be learned after her dad suffered a stroke following a delay in treating a blocked bowel.
William Jackson was admitted to Bradford Royal Infirmary with a four-day history of abdominal pain, diarrhoea and vomiting on 21 August, 2018.
He underwent a CT scan. His care was transferred to the general surgical team.
William, formerly of Norman Lane, Eccleshill, was discharged home on 29 August, with a plan made for staff to arrange a sigmoidoscopy – a procedure to examine the bowel - for six weeks’ time.
However, William’s family said he was never informed of the plan and neither was his GP.
William, who set up the haulage business WG Jackson in the 1980s, didn’t undergo a sigmoidoscopy and his symptoms continued.
On 24 January, 2019, his condition deteriorated. William, who complained of sudden and increased stomach pain, was taken to hospital by ambulance. He was suspected to have a perforated bowel and underwent emergency surgery, including to remove part of his bowel.
Head scan confirms former haulier suffered stroke
Shortly afterwards, William’s daughter Anita Jackson raised concerns about him not using his right arm. He underwent a head scan which confirmed he had suffered a stroke. As a result, the former haulier was left with a permanent stoma.
He was also wheelchair-bound and required assistance with all aspects of his personal care. Due to his extensive care needs William moved to Keighley to live with his daughter Anita.
Following William’s stroke, Anita, 61, instructed expert medical negligence lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate her dad’s care under Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Bradford Royal Infirmary.
Ahead of World Stroke Day on 29 October, Anita is now calling for lessons to be learned. It comes after her legal team secured an undisclosed settlement from the Hospital Trust, which admitted a breach of duty through NHS Resolution.
Hospital Trust admits "failure to arrange" sigmoidoscopy
It admitted there was a “failure to arrange a flexible sigmoidoscopy to take place within six weeks’ of discharge on 29 August 2018”. The Trust added that had this taken place and shown a blockage, William “would have received treatment and would have avoided bowel perforation” and on the balance of probabilities “would have avoided the stroke.”
William died last year aged 81 from an unrelated illness.
Expert Opinion“Prior to his stroke, William was independent, therefore he and his family all struggled with coming to terms with how his perforated bowel and stroke changed their lives.
“Nothing will make up for the last few years and everything William and his loved ones went through. However, we’re pleased to have at least provided the family with the answers they deserve.
“We welcome the Hospital Trust’s admission and are pleased to have been able to settle the case and provide Anita with some closure.
“William’s case vividly highlights the dangers of stroke and the debilitating effect they can have. Therefore, it’s now vital that lessons are learned to improve patient safety and help prevent others from suffering like William and his family.” Lauren Webb, Medical Negligence lawyer
World Stroke Day - William's story
Following emergency surgery William was admitted to the intensive care unit. On 29 January, 2019, Anita raised concerns around her dad not using his right arm.
A CT head scan was carried out on 30 January, following by an MRI scan on 6 February, which confirmed a stroke.
Anita, a senior support worker for adults with complex health problems and learning difficulties, said: “Dad struggled for months with abdominal pain and bowel issues but it still came as a huge shock when we were told he had a perforated bowel. Then to be told he had had a stroke was devastating. The hardest part was seeing him go from the happy, independent dad I knew, to a shadow of himself, in a wheelchair and relying on others to look after him.
“He lived like that for three years, and it broke my heart every time I saw him. We’ve since found out that the stroke was avoidable had the hospital undertaken a specific examination.
“To hear that is tough and I would give anything for dad not to have gone through what he did. However, none of us can change what happened. All I can hope for now is that something is learned to stop others from suffering like dad.”
William leaves behind a daughter, stepdaughter, two grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. He set up WG Jackson from the former Territorial Army barracks in Green Lane, Baildon, before moving to the former council cleansing depot in Hammerton Street. The business expanded again moving to Lower Lane in Bradford. Its fleet would deliver goods across Europe.
World Stroke Day is on 29 October.