Information Sought On Key Electrical Installations Ltd And Lomax & Staines
The widow of a former Oxfordshire electrician is appealing for help to establish how he contracted the asbestos-related cancer which claimed his life.
Alan Noble, from Witney, died one month after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung commonly associated with exposure to asbestos, often decades previously.
Following the 81 year old’s death, his widow, Susan Noble, 75, instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how Alan developed the illness.
Susan has now joined the legal team ahead of Action Mesothelioma Day on 1 July in appealing for anyone who worked with Alan to come forward and provide information on whether he may have been exposed to asbestos during his working life.
They are particularly keen to hear from anyone who worked alongside Alan at Key Electrical Installations Limited between 1953 and 1969 or at Lomax & Staines (Witney) Limited in Witney between 1969 and 2004, when Alan worked at locations across Oxfordshire.
Expert Opinion“This is sadly another case which puts the spotlight on the devastating impact of asbestos exposure, with the true consequences only becoming clear years after contact has taken place.
“Through our initial investigations, we are led to believe that Alan may have been exposed to asbestos working with Key Electrical Installations Limited and Lomax & Staines (Witney) Limited.
“Alan worked on the installation of heaters and electrical items in various buildings, including schools and universities. While asbestos is associated with heavy industry, it was also used widely in public buildings, such as schools, hospitals and universities.
“We have long campaigned for the government to introduce a register to document the presence of asbestos in public buildings and MPs have recently called for a deadline for its removal.
“In Alan’s case, we now require more information to progress the investigation further and we are determined to support Susan as she seeks the answers to Alan’s asbestos exposure in his memory. Susan would be so grateful if anyone with information that could help could come forward. Any detail, no matter how small could prove vital in ensuring Susan gets the answers she deserves as she comes to terms with the loss of her husband.” Hayley Hill - Senior Associate Solicitor
The appeal comes after the Work and Pensions Committee published a report saying there should be a 40 year deadline for the removal of asbestos from public and commercial buildings.
Alan was diagnosed with mesothelioma in February 2020 and sadly died on 4 March 2020. Alan began showing symptoms of shortness of breath in August 2019. Through a CT guided biopsy it was confirmed he had mesothelioma in February 2020. After the diagnosis Alan’s symptoms of shortness of breath continued to worsen and he started to display chest pain and a fever, leading to a hospital admission and Alan sadly passed away on 4 March 2020.
Outside of work before the developing symptoms, Alan enjoyed DIY, gardening and enjoyed doing things for his family. He made little birds houses and gifted them to his family at Christmas time. Alan and Susan enjoyed visiting garden centres, decorating the house and weekly outings to restaurants.
Speaking about her husband and the appeal, Susan Noble said: “Alan was my soulmate and best friend and losing him to mesothelioma was a terrible experience. Despite the time that has passed, I’m not sure I can ever fully get over losing Alan and just how much I still miss seeing him and hearing his voice at home.
“Alan was a kind and hardworking man and didn’t deserve to have his retirement cut short by this disease or to have to suffer at the end, through no fault of his own.
“It’s not been easy but I feel I owe it to Alan to find out how he came to be exposed to asbestos and get the answers he now can never seek to find for himself.
“We didn’t get much time together in those last weeks before his death to discuss his work history in any detail. From what he said, it sounds like Alan did encounter asbestos in his career but if any of his old workmates could come forward and help us, I would be so grateful.
“Nothing can bring Alan back home to me but I can do this last service for him, by getting to the truth and allowing my wonderful husband to rest in peace.”
Anyone with information which could help Susan is asked to contact Hayley Hill at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office on 0121 2145273 or email hayley.hill@IrwinMitchell.com
Held every year, Action Mesothelioma Day brings together victims of the disease, those who have loved ones affected, healthcare professionals, support groups and those working to understand mesothelioma and find a cure. The day aims to ensure the public are also aware of the terrible impact mesothelioma can have on sufferers and their carers.