Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Holiday Food Poisoning Claims

Egypt Food Poisoning

If you've fallen ill with food poisoning while abroad in Egypt, whether for work or for leisure, our lawyers could  help you claim compensation.

Our lawyers have a great deal of experience making food poisoning and illness claims in Egypt, and have strong links with local law firms too. If we can establish that an illness has been caused by someone else’s negligence, perhaps due to poor preparation or storage of food, you could claim compensation.

Tour operators, hotels and restaurants have a responsibility to follow health and safety standards that ensure that you don't fall ill. However, getting food poisoning from consuming food and drink contaminated with bacteria such as E.coli, salmonella and campylobacter is unfortunately all too common.

Most of the international personal injury claims we handle are made in England & Wales. But in some cases it may be beneficial to make your claim abroad. We can advise you on this in a free initial consultation about making a claim.

Compensation claims in England & Wales are normally funded through a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there's nothing to pay upfront, and that you won’t have to pay any legal fees if your claim is unsuccessful*.

We have the largest team of international personal injury lawyers in the UK, working solely on claims relating to accidents and illnesses abroad. When you make a claim with us, we handle every aspect of your case so you don't have to worry about language barriers or overseas regulations.

To arrange a free consultation about making a claim call us on 0800 056 4110, or contact us online and we'll get back to you.

No Win No Fee
Over £100 million claimed for overseas illnesses and injuries
Longstanding links with foreign law experts
Offices across the UK

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Egypt Food Poisoning Claims - More Information
    • What Happens When I Make A Claim?
    • To make a compensation claim for an accident or illness abroad, the first thing you need to do is get in touch with us for a free initial consultation. We'll discuss the circumstances surrounding your accident or illness, advise you on whether or not we think you can claim, and whether you could benefit from a No Win No Fee arrangement.

      If you choose to go ahead, your claim will usually go through the following four stages:

      1. Investigation. We'll establish who's responsible for your accident or illness, and arrange for a medical examination to find out the full extent of your condition.
      2. Rehabilitation. If you have any medical care or support needs, we'll help you to access the necessary treatment and advice that you are entitled to.
      3. Compensation. We'll work out how much compensation you should get based on the severity of your injuries and your pain and suffering, any medical expenses you've had, and your ability to get back to work. We'll put this amount to those responsible, and they can either accept blame or contest the claim.
      4. Conclusion. If your opponent accepts blame, you'll be awarded compensation. If not, the case will be settled in court – although this is rare. If you do have to go to court, we'll be there support you every step of the way. If we agreed to handle your claim under a No Win No Fee arrangement, then you won't have to pay anything if you were unsuccessful.

      If you have any questions about the claims process, please contact us today on 0800 121 6558 and we'll be happy to discuss your options in a free initial consultation.

    • How Much Compensation Can I Expect?
    • How much compensation you receive after an accident or illness abroad will depend on a number of factors related to your injury or illness, its circumstances, and the support and rehabilitation you need.

      The amount of compensation you could claim is based on:

      • Your condition, and its severity
      • Psychological trauma experienced
      • Current and future loss of earnings if you've had to stop working in the short or long-term
      • Medical expenses you've had to or will have to pay both abroad and in the UK, as well as travel expenses to any appointments
      • Your care and support needs – both now and in the future
      • Modifications to your home
      • Mobility aids
      • The amount you had spent on your holiday or travel abroad, and the loss of enjoyment you've experienced
      • Your pain and suffering
      • Other financial loss or expense due to your injury

      For more information, call us on 0800 121 6558 and we'll be happy to discuss your options in a free initial consultation.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your case, we'll discuss funding options with you, advising you which we think is most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI) or are covered by a trade union policy, these may be best for you. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household, travel or car insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you're best supported by a No Win No Fee agreement, we'll explain the process clearly. You'll only have to pay anything if your claim is successful – even then your opponent will pay most of our fees, with the remaining costs coming out of your compensation settlement.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • Can I Claim In The UK?
    • Even if your accident or illness occurred abroad, you can often make a claim here in the UK, though this will vary depending on your circumstances. For example, if you suffered an accident or illness while staying in a hotel as part of a package holiday, you should be able to make a claim against the tour operator here in the UK.

      You can also usually claim in the UK if you’re claiming against an individual insurer or employer that is based in the UK, or a business or insurer based in the EU. The law around compensation is different in each country, so we will consider where it would be best to make your claim in order to get the best possible result for you.

      If you do have to make a claim abroad, there’s nothing to worry about as we have years of experience in helping clients to claim in more than 80 countries around the world. We work with an international network of law firms to represent and support our clients and their families when they need to claim, no matter which country the accident or illness occurred in. Most claims are settled out of court, so it’s unlikely that you will need to travel abroad for a court case. If this is necessary in your case, we will support you every step of the way.

      If you have any questions or concerns about making a claim abroad, contact us on 0800 121 6558 for a free consultation. We'll be able to advise you on your options, and talk you through the process.

I am relieved that our legal battle is finally over. Our holiday was a nightmare and we were so disappointed. We’re glad Irwin Mitchell has managed to achieve a successful outcome for us”

David, client

Frequently Asked Questions

What Illnesses Are Common In Egypt?

Unfortunately, when it comes to eating and drinking in Egypt, there are a number of gastric illnesses that you might suffer from as a result of consuming contaminated goods.

Cryptosporidium, giardia, shigella, salmonella and E. coli are all common food-related illnesses (often commonly referred to as food poisoning) that you can suffer with when on holiday in Egypt, and all can be a result of improper food preparation.

That can be anything from foods not being kept at the required temperature, poor kitchen hygiene, or improperly cooked food.

Though the Egyptian food hygiene standards can differ to what we find acceptable in the UK, you still might be able to make a claim if you fall ill as a result of food poisoning on holiday. Our expert lawyers are best-placed to help assess your individual case, so call 0800 121 6558 today for a free consultation, or contact us online.

Read More... Read Less...

How Is Making A Claim In Egypt Different To The UK?

Firstly, it's important to note that if you're claiming against a tour operator or holiday provider that's based in the UK or the EU, you could be able to make a claim through UK courts. 

However, if your claim is against an Egypt-based company, then Irwin Mitchell's international network of partner law firms may be able to help. We liaise with these firms on a regular basis, as they're an essential part of understanding foreign jurisdiction. With them, we're better equipped to understand local laws and standards which could have an impact upon your claim.

In Egypt, you generally have three years to make a claim, just as in the UK – though these time limits can vary. It's important to seek legal advice as soon as possible, so that you don't miss out on the opportunity to claim the compensation you're entitled to.

For further information about making a claim overseas, get in touch for a free consultation by calling 0800 121 6558 today. Alternatively, you can contact us online.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell For An Egypt Food Poisoning Or Illness Claim?

We understand that making a compensation claim for an illness that occurred abroad can be a daunting prospect. Common concerns about making a claim in Egypt include the language barrier, different local laws, and the prospect of having to return to the country to attend court.

In situations like this, it helps to have the experts on your side. We can handle every aspect of the claims process thanks to the international expertise of our lawyers, as well as our links with foreign law experts, with our representatives attending any court hearings on your behalf.

We have the largest team of international personal injury lawyers in the UK, working solely on claims relating to accidents and illnesses abroad. Our industry-leading lawyers have secured over £100 million in settlements. In the past, we have worked on a number of high-profile cases, including:

  • Hyatt Regency Hotel. We represented two families affected by an outbreak of gastroenteritis at the hotel that had caused ongoing conditions such as Crohn's disease and colitis as a direct result. Our clients had complained about the poor standard of the hotel, the lack of cleanliness in and around the swimming pools, and generally poor food hygiene standards, but tour operator Longwood Holidays Limited still denied liability. Despite this, we were able to recover over £30,000 in compensation for our clients.
  • Concorde El Salam Sport Hotel. Our lawyers were able to secure over £15,000 in compensation for seven holidaymakers who became ill on an all-inclusive stay at the resort. Our clients said that they saw cockroaches at the resort and noted what appeared to be sewage being used to water the gardens at the Hotel. The holidaymakers also commented that food at the hotel appeared to be served undercooked and at the wrong temperature, and looked like it was recycled from previous meals.
  • Hotel Iberotel Club Fanara. We represented a family of three who began to suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms just three days after arriving at the hotel – symptoms which ultimately caused irritable bowel syndrome for all three of our clients. We were able to secure over £15,000 in compensation despite the resort initially denying liability.

If you have any questions about the claims process, or how we can help, please call 0800 121 6558, or contact us online for a free initial consultation on your case. We'll offer our expert advice, and talk through your options with you.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Accreditations

UK Chambers & Partners Leading Firm 2018 Leading Firm - Legal 500 2017 The Times Best Law Firms 2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Our International Expertise


Our lawyers are recognised as leaders in the field of international personal injury claims, and we bring this expertise to your claim. Members of our team regularly lecture internationally, are consulted on law reform issues, and hold key positions in several leading international organisations, including:

  • The Pan-European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers
  • Travel and Tourism Lawyers Association
  • The American Association for Justice.

We also have a long history of campaigning for improvements in health and safety. Our aim is always to improve the quality of life and levels of compensation for those who have suffered illness or been involved in an accident on holiday.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.