0800 022 3321
Military Injury Claims Guide

Veteran Support

As well as representing existing members of the armed forces, we're also here to help veterans. If you've been medically discharged as a result of an injury, or you have left voluntarily, our solicitors may be able to help you claim compensation providing your accident happened in the last three years.

If a family member has been killed, or suffered a serious injury that means they're unable to deal with their own legal affairs, then we'll be able to support you in these circumstances too.

We also provide a number of other veteran support services, to assist you through what can be a difficult transition in life.

Find out more about how we support veterans below. Alternatively, contact us online, or call us on 0800 022 3321 today for a free consultation, and we'll be happy to help.

What Support Is Available To Veterans?

As a veteran, you have the same right to make an injury compensation claim as armed forces personnel still in the service. We've worked with veterans of the Army, RAF, Royal Navy, as well as former members of the Army, Royal Naval and RAF Reserve. When we help veterans to make personal injury claims, we work closely with a number of different medical specialists and companies to help provide rehabilitation, support and care for your injuries. This can include: case management, occupational therapy, vocational assessment and specialist care, such as surgery, physiotherapy and mental health support.

We understand the unique set of challenges that veterans can face without a support network. In addition to our military injury team, we represent veterans through a number of our personal legal services, providing support with:

  • Buying or selling a house (including the forces Right To Buy scheme)
  • Divorce, children and family matters
  • Employment difficulties
  • Financial planning including tax and trusts
  • Wills, trust and probate services

What Can You Claim Compensation For As A Veteran?

We understand the extent to which armed forces personnel will be relying on service benefits and earnings which, as a veteran with an injury, you may suddenly find yourself unable to access. This could include:

  • Service earnings
  • Pension contributions or resettlement grants
  • Commitment bonuses
  • Specialist pay and allowances
  • Service benefits including loss of subsidised quarters and Learning Credits

We've handled a range of different kinds of claim for armed forces personnel both past and present, including:

In some circumstances, you also may be able to claim for injuries you received off duty. We've also dealt with a number of claims involving fatalities.

What Organisations Do We Work With?

We have a long history of campaigning, fundraising and working with leading armed forces welfare organisations, including:

  • Army Family Federation
  • Army Welfare Services
  • Blind Veterans UK
  • Combat Stress
  • Defence Medical Welfare Services
  • Help for Heroes
  • Pilgrim Bandits
  • Regimental Associations
  • SSAFA Forces Help
  • The Royal British Legion
  • Troop Aid

Can You Apply For Veteran Support On Someone Else's Behalf?

If you've lost a loved one in a military accident, then you could be able to claim for compensation on their behalf.

You can also apply for support or claim for compensation on behalf of someone who is under 18. Also, if a loved one lacks the mental capacity to understand and instruct a solicitor, as can be the case following serious head injuries, you can apply on their behalf.

Contact Us

If you have any concerns or questions that we've not addressed here, please feel free to contact us. You can call us on 0800 022 3321 for a free consultation with one of our solicitors, who will be able to answer any questions you may have, and offer you their expert advice on your options.

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.