Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Accidents In Public Places Claims

Children's Accident Claims

Children have accidents all the time - it’s part of growing up. Most of these injuries are nobody’s fault but sometimes children are hurt because the proper safety measures weren’t in place. We’re here for you if your child has been injured in an accident that was the result of someone else’s negligence, and could help you make a child injury claim.

Our children’s accident solicitors understand that your child’s health and wellbeing will be your number one priority, so we’ll help you access the rehabilitation and support your child needs. We can offer support to your entire family, working hard to get you the compensation and justice you deserve.

We could help if your child has been injured:

Our child injury lawyers could accept your claim on a No Win No Fee basis which means that you can concentrate on your child’s recovery without having to worry about legal fees*.

If you’re interested in making a claim on behalf of a child who has been involved in an accident, or you’d like to claim for an injury you yourself sustained before you turned 18, call us on 0800 056 4110 or contact our solicitors online. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your child accident claim and how we could help.

No Win No Fee*
Largest personal injury team in the UK
Offices across the country
Help with rehabilitation and educational support

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Children's Accident Claims - More Information
    • What Will Happen When I Make A Claim?
    • When you contact us, you’ll speak to a member of our friendly team, who will talk to you about your child’s injury. This initial consultation is completely free - from there, we’ll advise you on the best way to take your child’s claim forward.

      Contacting Those Responsible For Your Child’s Injuries

      We’ll then get in touch with those responsible for your child’s accident at an early stage to see if they accept the blame for what happened. If they accept responsibility, we’ll try to secure some compensation up-front, which can fund private medical care and expenses while the claim is ongoing. These payments, known as interim payments, will be taken out of your child’s final compensation award.

      Gathering Evidence

      Our experts will look into your child’s case in detail, gathering evidence from various sources such as witnesses, CCTV and independent medical professionals.

      We’ll employ medical professionals to find out how your child’s accident has impacted on their future health and they’ll recommend the care your child needs to make the best recovery possible.

      Final Settlement & Compensation Awarded

      We’ll always try and negotiate claims out of court, keeping the claim process as short as we can. However, if your opponent doesn’t accept responsibility or doesn’t agree with the amount of compensation we feel your child needs, we’ll start court proceedings. We’ll always stand by you and your child if you have to go to trial, and will always try to settle your claim out of court before dates are set.

      All personal injury cases involving children have to go before a judge for an infant approval hearing. This hearing happens even when a compensation sum has been agreed with your opponent and is in place to make sure that your child gets a fair settlement.

      Read more about what happens if your case goes to court

    • What Can Compensation Pay For?
    • By making a personal injury compensation claim on behalf of your child, you can access funds to help cover expenses and any medical treatment your child might need.

      Every personal injury case is different, so there’s no set amount of compensation your child will receive. The amount of compensation your child will get will depend on your family’s circumstances, the severity of your child’s injuries and their chances of making a full recovery. In child injury cases we often have to consider how the child’s symptoms could develop in the future as some injuries can develop with growth.

      Our children’s accident lawyers could help you get compensation for:

      • Private medical treatment – to help speed up and maximise recovery
      • Home tutors – if your child has to take a lot of time off school, compensation can pay for tutoring to help them keep up with their work
      • Loss of earnings – for any time off work you have to take to look after your child
      • Expenses – for the likes of travelling to medical appointments
      • Rehabilitation – to make sure your child makes the best recovery they can, compensation can pay for rehab and support both now and in the future
      • Household adaptations – these can help your child live more independently, click here for more details

      For more information on making a child injury claim, contact our experts today on 0800 056 4110.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • If you’re making a claim on behalf of a child, you’ll usually be able to make a claim up until their 18th birthday. Nevertheless, if your child has been injured in an accident we do urge you to contact us as soon as possible because we could help them access rehabilitation and support to help with their recovery.

      We could also help you make a claim if you were involved in an accident before you turned 18. If you want to claim compensation for an accident that happened while you were a child, you will have three years from your 18th birthday to make a claim.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk* to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your case we’ll discuss funding options for your child’s claim, advising you what we think is most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI) or are covered by a trade union policy, these may be better options to fund your claim. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you’re best supported by a No Win No Fee agreement, we’ll explain the process clearly. This involves setting up an insurance policy that will protect you, at no cost to you. You’ll only have to pay anything if your claim is successful – and even then your opponent will pay most of our fees.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • Meet The Team
    • Our specialist team of personal injury solicitors are highly qualified and have years of experience in helping families claim compensation for a child injured in an accident.

      This experience means we understand the issues that you and your child will be facing and we know that your child’s health is your number one priority. We’ll strive to get your child access to the best care possible, using our contacts at support groups across the country to put in place a dedicated rehabilitation plan.

      Your child’s injury can impact upon the entire family, so we work closely with other departments at the firm in order to give you detailed advice on issues such as:

      • Educational problems
      • Accommodation
      • Ongoing care
      • Family matters
      • Financial matters

      Ours is the UK’s largest personal injury team, with offices across the country - so you can be sure you’re getting the best legal help available. We’ve also won awards for our client care and focus on rehabilitation, picking up the Claimant Solicitor of the Year prize at the Rehabilitation First Awards on seven different occasions.

      Meet our child injury experts

The compensation means that I can have the care that I really need rather than what’s provided as a bare minimum."

Rosie, client
Rosie Mayes, Personal Injury Client

Frequently Asked Questions

Who Can Make A Claim On Behalf Of A Child?

Claims on behalf on a child under 18 must be made by a ’litigation friend’. The court can appoint anyone to be a litigation friend, including:

  • Parents and guardians
  • Family members and friends who are over 18
  • Solicitors
  • Professional advocates (e.g. an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate - IMCA)
  • Court of Protection deputies
  • Someone who has lasting power of attorney

The court will always check if you’re suitable to be a litigation friend and will ensure that your interests don’t conflict with those of the child. They will also make sure that you can make decisions relating to the case in a fair and competent way.

If the court grants you permission to be a litigation friend, we’ll always contact you with any information regarding your child’s case. You’ll also be responsible for telling them what’s happening and listening to what they want and how they feel about the case.

If you would like to make a claim on behalf of a child, contact us free today on 0800 056 4110 to find out more.

Read More... Read Less...

What Will Happen To My Child’s Compensation?

Compensation awarded in child injury cases is normally kept in a protected account until the child turns 18. Any amount awarded to the child has to be agreed to in an infant approval hearing before any funds can be paid out.

During infant approval hearings, the judge will consider all of the evidence in order to see if they agree with the amount of compensation which is being offered. The judge could ask you, as the litigation friend, for information on matters such as your child’s recovery and likely care costs you’ll incur.

Your child might need to attend these hearings but this can depend on their age and the severity of their injuries.

The court will hold any compensation that’s awarded to your child until they turn 18: at this point they will then receive their settlement as well as any interest. If your child needs to secure some of their compensation early - to cover care costs, for example - we can help you make an application to the court and the judge will decide whether this is in the child’s best interests.

Personal injury trusts

We can also help you set up a personal injury trust on your child’s behalf. Personal injury trusts can be helpful as they can mean that your child’s compensation won’t affect any means tested benefits that they receive when they turn 18.

Money put into a personal injury trust can mean that your child has security in the future and. Money placed in a trust can only be accessed by those who are appointed trustees. You can make yourself a trustee and in a case involving a child, the other trustee must be a solicitor. In order to get money out of the personal injury trust, all trustees must agree to its release.

For more information on setting up a personal injury trust, contact our personal injury trust experts on 0800 056 4110.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell?

By making your child’s personal injury claim with us, you’ll be working with experienced lawyers with access to the support network you need at this challenging time.

If your child has been left with a disability because of their accident, your family’s lives can change significantly. Our Client Liaison team can help put in place measures to make this time a little easier, such as:

  • Organising assessments of your child’s immediate and long term needs
  • Co-ordinating services for your family to help with any changes to your lifestyle
  • Sorting practical support with day-to-day issues such as budgeting, coping strategies and support with ongoing rehabilitation
  • Monitoring progress of rehabilitation and implementing improvements

Public Law

We also have an in-house Public Law department who can help with any issues regarding your child’s education and disability entitlements. Our lawyers have helped children and their families with a range medical and social care issues, such as:

While handling your child’s personal injury claim we’ll always suggest other areas where we could support you and your family. For more information on making a claim with us, call 0800 056 4110.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Accreditations

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provides information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK.

Headway Head Injury Solicitor Accreditation 2018 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Committed to making a difference.

We work closely with the Children’s Trust, a leading charity which provides expert rehabilitation, education and therapy at their specialist centre. They also offer services in communities across the country to support children and parents whose lives have been changed by a child brain injury.

Our lawyers also supported the launch of Acquired Brain Injury In Children – A Parent’s Handbook, which was produced by the Children’s Trust and features practical advice for parents of children with brain injuries.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.