Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Accident At Work Claims

Construction Accident Claims

Construction sites are dangerous places, so it’s essential that any potential accident risks are minimised. Your employers and/or the main contractor of the site have the responsibility to ensure that safety measures are in place so you’re not in any danger.

Our construction accident lawyers are here for you if you’ve been in an accident on a building site. We could help you make a claim if you’ve been injured because of:

No matter how you’ve been injured, you could make a construction accident claim if your employer didn’t do everything they could to stop the accident from happening.

By making a compensation claim we could help you access the care and therapy you need to make the best recovery you can. These funds could also be used to cover any time you’ve had to take off work.

Our personal injury solicitors have a proven track record of success, securing £1 billion in compensation for our clients over the last two years. We have teams of specialist workplace accident lawyers based across the country who know exactly what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve.

We could accept your construction injury claim on a No Win No Fee basis*, which means that if your case is unsuccessful, you won’t have to pay any legal fees.

To set up a free initial consultation about your construction accident claim, call us free on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online.

No Win No Fee*
Offices across the country
Access to rehabilitation
Help with employment issues

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Construction Accident Claims - More Information
    • What Will Happen When I Make A Claim?
    • After you’ve contacted us, we’ll set up a free initial consultation to discuss your case and whether you have a legal claim. We’ll discuss what funding options are available to you to pay for your claim, including No Win No Fee agreements*.

      We’ll then get in touch with those responsible for your accident at an early stage to see if they accept the blame for your injuries. If they accept responsibility, we’ll try to secure interim compensation payments which can fund private medical care and ongoing expenses, before your claim fully settles. Any interim payments will be taken out of your final compensation award.

      Our lawyers will look into your case in detail, gathering evidence from independent medical professionals and health and safety specialists. These experts will analyse why your accident happened and can determine any future implications to your health. They’ll also advise us on the care you’ll need in the future and any precautions that need to be implemented in your workplace.

      We’ll always try and negotiate claims out of court, keeping the claim process as short as we can. However, if your opponent doesn’t accept responsibility or doesn’t agree with the amount of compensation we feel you need, we’ll start court proceedings.

      Even when trial dates have been set, claims are still often settled before reaching court. If your claim does need to go to court, we’ll be there to help you every step of the way, talking you through what will happen so you feel as comfortable as possible.

      Read more about what happens if your case goes to court.

    • What Can Compensation Pay For?
    • Compensation can make a real difference to your life, ensuring that you can access the healthcare and support to make the best recovery you can. By making a claim with us, we can get you funds which can help pay for:

      • Private healthcare treatment
      • Physiotherapy
      • Psychological therapy
      • Expenses (such as travel costs to hospital appointments)
      • Loss of income
      • Household adaptations

      The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the likelihood that you’ll make a full recovery. We’ll seek expert opinions on what care you’ll need to ensure that you get the compensation settlement you deserve.

      If your employer accepts responsibility for your accident, we can help you get early compensation payments. Often known as interim payments, these funds will be taken from your final settlement and can help pay for ongoing care costs and expenses, before your claim has settled.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • You normally have three years to make a claim from the date of your accident. However, there are some exceptions to this rule:

      • Under 18s – you can claim on behalf of a child who was on work experience or working part-time. No time limits apply in these circumstances until the child turns 18. When the child turns 18 they can make their own claim but the three year time limit will then apply.
      • Mental capacity – you can make a claim on behalf of someone who doesn’t have the ability to do so themselves, including when someone has suffered a serious head/brain injury as a result of their accident. In these circumstances, no time limits apply.
      • Fatal claims – if you’re claiming on behalf of a loved one who died, you’ll either have three years from the date of their death or the date of the accident to make a claim.

      If you have any concerns about the time limits for claiming compensation, we’ll be able to talk through your options in a free initial consultation.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk* to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your claim, we’ll discuss the funding options available, advising you which we think is the most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI), or can access support through trade union membership, these may be best for you. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household and car insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you’re best supported by a No Win No Fee agreement, we’ll explain the process clearly. This involves setting up an insurance policy that will protect you, at no cost to you. You’ll only have to pay anything when your claim is successful – your opponent will pay most of our fees.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • Meet Our Experts
    • We have dedicated, experienced solicitors based across the country who specialise in helping people to claim compensation after accidents at work. We know the issues that you and your loved ones may be facing, and we’ll answer all of your questions in plain English.

      As well as helping you claim compensation, we can also help with your rehabilitation and recovery. If you cannot work because of your injuries then we can also advise you on benefit entitlement and arrange for the best possible support to help you to recover. Having helped many other clients who were injured on building sites, we can use our experience to get a positive outcome for you and your family.

      Meet the team

I am now getting my life back on track. This settlement does not put things back to how they were, but at least it gives me some form of justice and allows me to rebuild my life.”

Stewart, client
Stewart Smith quote image

Frequently Asked Questions

What Types Of Construction Accident Can You Claim For?

Construction projects can vary in nature but your employer and/or the main contractor should always ensure that dangers are minimised. We could help you make a compensation claim if you’ve suffered injuries because of:

Our experienced lawyers have helped thousands of people with workplace accident claims and have the knowledge needed to be successful with your claim. To find out if we could help you make a compensation claim, contact us free on 0800 056 4110.

Read More... Read Less...

What Regulations Should Be In Place?

The Health and Safety Executive sets out guidelines which must be followed in the construction industry. To comply with personal protective equipment (PPE) regulations, you should be provided with:

  • Head protection
  • Hearing protection
  • Footwear
  • High-visibility clothing

If you’ve been in an accident at work and feel that your employer didn’t provide you with the correct PPE, we’re here to help. You have the right to expect an adequate standard of safety at work and can make a claim if you’ve suffered an injury because of lapses in health and safety standards.

We could help you make a claim if you had an accident and your employer wasn’t complying with:

  • Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 – help with planning work to reduce potential risks, coordinating work, communicating the correct information about risks and how they’re being managed.
  • Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) 2002 - advice on hazardous chemicals, fumes, dusts, vapours, mists, gases and germs. These regulations also provide support on how COSHH assessments should be carried out.
  • Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations 1996 – explaining your duties on consulting employees about health and safety matters.
  • Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 – this is the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and sets out guidance to protect employees in a host of scenarios.
  • Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) 1998 – the duties of people and companies who own, operate or have control over lifting equipment. LOLER requires that lifting operations are planned by a competent person and are appropriately supervised, and states that all equipment should be fit for purpose.
  • Provision and Use of Work Regulations (PUWER) 1998 – these regulations place obligations on people and companies who own, operate and control work equipment. PUWER states that equipment must be suitable for intended use, maintained to a good standard, used by people with the correct training and should only be used after considering protective devices and controls.
  • Work at Height Regulations 2005 – this act was designed to prevent injuries and deaths caused by falls from height. Employers who are in control of work at height must ensure that work is properly planned, supervised and carried out by competent people.

Our lawyers won’t only help you with securing compensation, but can help make sure that safety precautions are put in place to ensure the wellbeing of other people on the site. To find out more about the help we offer, contact us today on 0800 056 4110.

Read More... Read Less...

Who Can Make A Construction Accident Claim?

We could help you make a claim if you’ve been injured in a construction accident, including if you’re an employee, contactor, member of the public or a visitor. Even if you’re a casual worker or self-employed, you might still be considered as an employee under UK law, giving you the same rights as other workers when it comes to health and safety.

If you’re an agency worker who has been injured in a construction accident, both the agency you work for and the operatives of the site should take responsibility for your safety. They should work together to make sure that precautions are in place to protect you.

We can also help with claims being made on the behalf of others including:

  • On behalf of a child who has been in an accident before their 18th birthday
  • For someone who doesn’t have the mental capacity to handle their own case   

If you’ve sadly lost a loved one in a construction accident, we can help you with:

  • Recovering compensation for their pain and suffering, to account for financial losses caused by their death and to cover funeral expenses
  • Representing you at inquest
  • Getting you the answers and apology you deserve from those responsible

Our lawyers could also help you access a statutory bereavement award, a flat rate of £12,980 which is provided when a wrongful death has occurred. This is available if you’re the spouse, civil partner or parent (if under 18) of the person who died.

To make a claim for someone who has unfortunately passed away due to the injuries they suffered, you’ll normally have three years from the date of the accident or from the time of their death.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Recognition

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK.

Leading Firm - Legal 500 2017 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

We campaign to help prevent fatal accidents at work.

We work with Families Against Corporate Killers (FACK) to provide support to the relatives of those who’ve sadly lost their lives in accidents at work.

FACK campaigns to bring workplaces to justice who haven’t complied with health and safety regulations and offers help with bereavement at this difficult time.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.