Concerns Raised That Reps ‘Had Been Aware Of Issues For Two Weeks’
A Kent woman who fell ill on the final day of her holiday at a hotel in Ibiza has called on lawyers to investigate reports that travel reps were aware of problems for two weeks prior to her ‘nightmare’ holiday.
Julie Page, who travelled in a party of six, developed diarrhoea and sickness along with four other members of her family during their stay at the Fiesta Tanit Hotel in June.
When the 50-year-old of Chatham, complained to reps about her symptoms she said she was shocked to learn that they had been aware of illness at the resort for a fortnight prior to Julie’s stay.
Julie, a hairdresser, suffered with an upset stomach and sickness on the last day of her holiday and she continued to suffer symptoms upon her return home.
She has now instructed Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Personal Injury team to investigate her experiences and help her gain answers regarding the illness.
Expert Opinion“We are very concerned by the details provided to us by Julie and have started to investigate what she experienced on holiday.
This is yet another case which demonstrates the terrible impact that gastric illness can have, with it not only ruining precious time abroad but also leaving sufferers with symptoms which go on to affect their lives back home.
A particularly concerning aspect of this case is the suggestion that more people may have been affected by illness at this site in recent months. With this in mind, we would be keen to gain information from anyone else who may also have been affected by these issues.
It is vital that where appropriate lessons are learned to prevent other people facing similar issues to what Julie encountered.”
Jatinder Paul - Partner
The legal experts have vast experience of providing advice and support to thousands of people who have suffered injury and illness during holidays, helping them to access vital financial support to aid their recovery in the process. The team has recovered millions of pounds from tour operators including representing over 600 people who fell ill at the Holiday Village in Turkey over successive years between 2009 and 2014, and over 1,000 people who fell ill following holidays at the Bahia Principe in the Dominican Republic in 2007.
Julie’s holiday at the Fiesta Tanit Hotel, which was booked through TUI UK Limited, began on 5 June. She fell ill on her last day, 15 June. Her partner, Stephen Hammond, 54, fell ill first on 13 June shortly followed by her brother-in-law on the same day. Julie’s sister fell ill on 14 June, then Julie and finally her nephew.
She recalled: “We had not been particularly impressed by conditions at the hotel throughout our stay. From the get go, when we arrived at the hotel we had to wait two hours to check in because there was only one person at the reception desk. I later found out that it was apparently due to staff sickness. We thought that the site was fairly run down and the pool in particular looked in a bad way.
“However, it was shocking that the illness problems seemed to be common knowledge. Everyone was talking about it and seemed to know someone who was showing symptoms.
“I was upset to fall ill as the break was coming to a close but when I complained of the family’s illness to the reps they simply replied that they were logging it and had been aware of issues for two weeks before my holiday.
“I was stunned that I had not been informed of this before travelling. We did not see any deep cleans being done nor could I see any hand sanitiser around the hotel. I am absolutely disgusted about the way in which we have been treated.
“On one particular day during the holiday a kid had pooed in the pool. The member of staff fished it out and told us to wait about half an hour before we went in the pool again. I did not see any chemicals being used to clean the pool after the incident and I would have expected them to close it.
“There are no doubts in my mind that others were affected and it is vital that this issue is thoroughly investigated. No one heading on a holiday, which costs thousands of pounds, should have to face the issues that we have and it is vital that – where possible – lessons can be learned so this nightmare does not happen again.”