0800 121 6558
Holiday Accidents & Illness Claims

Terrorism Abroad Claims

If you've been injured or have lost a loved one in a hijacking or terrorist attack, you could be able to claim compensation. Our specialist personal injury lawyers have a huge amount of experience in this area, and have represented injured victims and bereaved families following a number of incidents, including:

  • The 9/11 World Trade Centre attacks
  • The bombing of Pan America flight 103 above Lockerbie
  • The 7/7 London bombings
  • The IRA bombing of the Arndale Centre in Manchester
  • The hijacking of British tourists on a tour bus in India
  • The Sousse beach incident in Tunisia

Our lawyers are committed to handling claims with compassion and sensitivity, putting the wellbeing of our clients and their families first in every sense. We have the largest and most successful international personal injury team in the UK, with specialists in physical and psychological injury claims following hijackings and terrorist attacks.

Terrorist attacks are complicated, tragic events, often with a lot of parties involved. It helps to have an expert on your side – to guide you through the process, and make sure you receive the settlement you're entitled to, as well as the care that you need.

If you've been injured, or lost a loved one, in a terrorist attack or hijacking then our lawyers could be able to help you claim compensation. Call us today on 0800 121 6558 for a free initial consultation about your case, or contact us online and we’ll get back to you.

No Win No Fee
Experts in group compensation claims
Experts in Inquests
Over 20 years experience handling high profile cases

Call our experts FREE on:

0800 121 6558

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Terrorism Abroad Claims - More Information
    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your case, we'll discuss funding options with you, advising you which we think is most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI) or are covered by a trade union policy, these may be best for you. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household, travel or car insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you're best supported by a No Win No Fee agreement, we'll explain the process clearly. You'll only have to pay anything if your claim is successful – even then your opponent will pay most of our fees, with the remaining costs coming out of your compensation settlement.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • In the UK, you usually need to make a compensation claim within three years of your accident or illness.

      In fatal cases, the family of the deceased has three years to make a claim, starting from either the date your loved one died, or the date you received the post-mortem results.

      However, these time limits vary a great deal from country to country and are much shorter in some countries, so when an accident or illness has taken place abroad, it's vital that you contact us as soon as possible. We are experts in international law, and have a worldwide network of partner law firms that we work with, so we'll be able to advise you on specific time limits. Contact us today on 0800 121 6558 for a free consultation on your case, and we'll be happy to help.

    • Can I Claim In The UK?
    • Even if your accident or illness occurred abroad, you can often make a claim here in the UK, though this will vary depending on your circumstances. For example, if you suffered an accident or illness while staying in a hotel as part of a package holiday, you should be able to make a claim against the tour operator here in the UK.

      You can also usually claim in the UK if you’re claiming against an individual insurer or employer that is based in the UK, or a business or insurer based in the EU. The law around compensation is different in each country, so we will consider where it would be best to make your claim in order to get the best possible result for you.

      If you do have to make a claim abroad, there’s nothing to worry about as we have years of experience in helping clients to claim in more than 80 countries around the world. We work with an international network of law firms to represent and support our clients and their families when they need to claim, no matter which country the accident or illness occurred in. Most claims are settled out of court, so it’s unlikely that you will need to travel abroad for a court case. If this is necessary in your case, we will support you every step of the way.

      If you have any questions or concerns about making a claim abroad, contact us on 0800 121 6558 for a free consultation. We'll be able to advise you on your options, and talk you through the process.

    • Can I Begin My Claim While I'm Still Abroad?
    • If your illness or accident has resulted in a hospital stay in another country, it's still vital that you contact us as soon as possible to ensure you get your claim started within the relevant time limits.

      We can begin working on your claim while you're still abroad – all you need to do is contact us. You can contact us online or by phone on +44800 121 6558, or a relative can call us on your behalf on 0800 121 6558.

      You can advise us on the best way to contact you while you're abroad, and you can update this once you're back in the UK if you need to.

“They kept us well informed and made us feel part of the process. They made me feel like they knew what they were doing. I had complete confidence in them.”

Brian, Client

Frequently Asked Questions

Who Can Claim Compensation Following A Terrorist Attack?

If you were injured physically or psychologically, or lost a loved one, as a result of a terrorist attack then you could be entitled to claim compensation. You may also be able to claim if you were a witness to an act of terrorism where a loved one was injured. We've helped our clients following a range of incidents, including:

  • Hijacking
  • Bombing
  • Shootings
  • Kidnappings
  • Chemical attacks

You may be able to claim compensation against a party that failed to take adequate steps to protect your safety, such as a tour operator or employer who failed to adequately assess risks in a certain part of the world, or didn't carry out adequate security screening.

There are also government compensation schemes for the victims of terrorist attacks, and you may be able to apply for this as well as claiming against a responsible party.

The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a few factors, including:

  • Your condition, and its severity
  • Psychological trauma experienced
  • Current and future loss of earnings if you've had to stop working in the short or long-term
  • Medical expenses you've had or will have to pay both abroad and in the UK, as well as travel expenses to any appointments
  • Your care and support needs – both now and in the future
  • Modifications to your home
  • Mobility aids
  • The amount you had spent on your holiday or travel abroad, and the loss of enjoyment you've experienced
  • Your pain and suffering

You may also be able to get early compensation payments ahead of a final settlement, to help you with any costs you might have in the short term.

If you have any concerns as to whether you're able to make a terrorism or hijacking compensation claim, contact us online or call us today on 0800 121 6558 for a free initial consultation about your case.

Read More... Read Less...

Are There Compensation Schemes For The Victims Of Terror Attacks?

Since 2012, the government has operated the Victims of Overseas Terrorism Compensation Scheme, which supports the victims of terrorist attacks, as well as their families. You can apply for compensation through these as well as an independent claim against a responsible party.

The scheme doesn't necessarily cover all incidents of terrorism, but if you've been the victim of a terrorist attack abroad since 27 November 2012, you may be able to claim. The current list of incidents the scheme is providing compensation for includes:

  • The Brussels attacks (22 March 2016)
  • The Paris attacks (13 November 2015)
  • The attack at Port el Kantaoui, Sousse, Tunisia (26 June 2015)
  • The attack at the Bardo National Museum, Tunisia (18 March 2015)
  • The attack at the Westgate shopping mall, Nairobi, Kenya (21 September 2013)
  • The kidnap of Setraco employees in Jama’are, Nigeria (16 February 2013)

However, the scheme is not limited to just these examples – you may be able to claim for other incidents.

You can find out more information about this scheme from gov.uk, or contact us on 0800 121 6558 for a free consultation on your case if you have any questions.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell For A Terrorism Or Hijacking Compensation Claim?

Our expert lawyers have been helping people claim compensation following terrorist attacks for 20 years, and have a proven track record of pursuing claims both independently and through the Victims of Overseas Terrorism Compensation Scheme.

We understand the truly devastating impact that a terrorist attack can have for both the victims and their families, and we aim to make the entire process as simple as possible to minimise stress during a difficult time.

With a dedicated lawyer, and a client liaison team that will help you access specialist care and support, we'll help you claim compensation and readjust to life, offering plain English advice and supporting you every step of the way.

These incidents can have far-reaching physical, emotional and financial consequences, and we'll work with you to ensure that the settlement you receive reflects the severity of the injury, any necessary rehabilitation which you are entitled to, and the impact it's had on your life.

We have the largest team of international personal injury lawyers in the UK, working solely on claims relating to accidents and illnesses abroad. Our industry-leading lawyers have secured hundreds of millions of pounds in settlements for victims of accidents and illnesses abroad.

To find out more about how to make a claim, and how we can help, call us today on 0800 121 6558 for a free initial consultation.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Accreditations

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK.

Leading Firm - Legal 500 2017 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Working With Survivors

When you make a claim with us, we put your wellbeing at the heart of everything we do. Providing you with the care and support you need to deal with the traumatic experience of an attack is as important to us as ensuring you receive financial compensation.

Our client liaison managers can work with you from the beginning of your case if needed, helping us understand what support you need, and how best to help you access it. As part of the claims process, we may arrange for you to have a medical examination to fully understand what medical care and support you will need both now and in the future.

Our approach to our clients' rehabilitation is extremely well respected in the industry, and has seen us win Post Magazine’s Rehabilitation Award for Claimant Solicitors on seven occasions.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.