Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Accident At Work Claims

Migrant Worker Accident Claims

If you’re a migrant worker who has been involved in an accident at work, you might be unsure about what to do. Making a compensation claim in a foreign country may seem difficult, but our solicitors will guide you through the process using clear English. Members of our team are also fluent in Polish.

As a migrant worker you are more likely to work in an industry where dangerous accidents can happen. These include:

  • Agriculture
  • Construction
  • Manufacturing/factories
  • Waste and recycling

We’ve helped thousands of people with workplace accident claims, so we’re experienced at holding employers to account for negligence. With one of the UK’s largest personal injury departments, we have a dedicated team of solicitors ready to help you.

We also have a team of specialist employment lawyers who can advise you on your rights after suffering an injury at work.

Most of our claims are funded on a No Win No Fee basis, which means there’s no financial risk to you* – even if you aren’t a British citizen.

We believe in the importance of rehabilitation as well as compensation, and we’ll work to make sure you have access to any care or medical treatment you need after your accident.

To arrange a free initial consultation about your claim, call us free on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online.

No Win No Fee*
Help with rehabilitation
Dedicated employment law experts
Offices across the country

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Migrant Worker Accident Claims - More Information
    • What Will Happen When I Make A Claim?
    • After you’ve contacted us, we’ll set up a free initial consultation to discuss your case and whether you have a legal claim. We’ll discuss what funding options are available to you to pay for your claim, including No Win No Fee agreements*.

      We’ll then get in touch with those responsible for your accident at an early stage to see if they accept the blame for your injuries. If they accept responsibility, we’ll try to secure interim compensation payments which can fund private medical care and ongoing expenses, before your claim fully settles. Any interim payments will be taken out of your final compensation award.

      Our lawyers will look into your case in detail, gathering evidence from independent medical professionals and health and safety specialists. These experts will analyse why your accident happened and can determine any future implications to your health. They’ll also advise us on the care you’ll need in the future.

      We’ll always try and negotiate claims out of court, keeping the claim process as short as we can. However, if your employer doesn’t accept responsibility or doesn’t agree with the amount of compensation we feel you need, we’ll start court proceedings.

      Even when trial dates have been set, claims are still often settled before reaching court. If your claim does need to go to court, we’ll be there to help you every step of the way, talking you through what will happen so you feel as comfortable as possible.

      Read more about what happens if your case goes to court.

    • What Can Compensation Pay For?
    • Compensation can make a real difference to your life, ensuring that you can access the healthcare and support to make the best recovery you can. By making a claim with us, we can get you funds which can help pay for:

      • Private healthcare treatment
      • Physiotherapy
      • Psychological therapy
      • Expenses (such as travel costs to hospital appointments)
      • Loss of income
      • Household adaptations

      The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the likelihood that you’ll make a full recovery. We’ll seek expert opinions on what care you’ll need to ensure that the compensation we claim will be sufficient.

      If your employer accepts responsibility for your accident, we could help you get early compensation payments. Often known as interim payments, these funds will be taken from your final settlement and can help pay for ongoing care costs and expenses, before your claim has settled.

    • Who Can Make A Claim?
    • We could help you make a claim if you’ve slipped or tripped in a workplace, whether you’re an employee, contractor, a member of the public or a visitor.

      Even if you’re a casual worker or consider yourself to be self-employed, you might still be considered as an employee under UK law, giving you the same rights as other workers when it comes to health and safety.

      If you’re an agency worker who has slipped or tripped at work, both the agency you work for and the owners of the business should take responsibility for your safety. They should work together to make sure that precautions are in place to protect you.

      We can also help with claims being made on behalf of others including:

      • On behalf of a child who has been in an accident before their 18th birthday
      • For someone who doesn’t have the mental capacity to handle their own case
      • On behalf of a loved one who has unfortunately passed away

      If you’ve sadly lost a loved one in a workplace accident, we can help you with:

      • Recovering compensation for their pain and suffering, to account for financial losses caused by their death and to cover funeral expenses
      • Representing you at inquest
      • Getting you the answers and apology you deserve from those responsible

      Our lawyers could also help you access a statutory bereavement award, a flat rate of £12,980 which is provided when a wrongful death has occurred. This is available if you’re the spouse, civil partner or parent (if under 18) of the person who died.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • You normally have three years to make a claim from the date of your accident. However, there are some exceptions to this rule:

      • Under 18s – you can claim on behalf of a child who was on work experience or working part-time. No time limits apply in these circumstances until the child turns 18. When the child turns 18 they can make their own claim but the three year time limit will then apply.
      • Mental capacity – you can make a claim on behalf of someone who doesn’t have the ability to do so themselves, including when someone has suffered a serious head/brain injury as a result of their accident. In these circumstances, no time limits apply.
      • Fatal claims – if you’re claiming on behalf of a loved one who died, you’ll either have three years from the date of their death or the date of the accident to make a claim.

      If you have any concerns about the time limits for claiming compensation, we’ll be able to talk through your options in a free initial consultation.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk* to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your claim, we’ll discuss the funding options available, advising you which we think is the most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI), or can access support through trade union membership, these may be best for you. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household and car insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you’re best supported by a No Win No Fee agreement, we’ll explain the process clearly. This involves setting up an insurance policy that will protect you, at no cost to you. You’ll only have to pay anything when your claim is successful – your opponent will pay most of our fees.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • Our Experts
    • We have experienced solicitors based across the country who specialise in helping people to claim compensation after accidents at work. We know the issues that you and your loved ones may be facing, and we can answer all of your questions in plain English.

      As well as helping you claim compensation, we can also help with your rehabilitation and recovery. If you can’t work because of your injuries, then we can also advise you on benefit entitlement and arrange for the best possible support to help you recover.

      Having helped many other migrant workers who have been injured, we can use our experience to get a positive outcome for you and your family.

      Meet the team

I am now getting my life back on track. This settlement does not put things back to how they were, but at least it gives me some form of justice and allows me to rebuild my life.”

Stewart, client
Stewart Smith quote image

Frequently Asked Questions

What Constitutes Employer Negligence?

Employers have exactly the same responsibility to protect you from harm if you’re a migrant, so it’s unacceptable if you’ve been injured as a result of their negligence.

When helping migrant workers with accident claims, some of the most common examples of employer negligence we come across include:

  • Employees forced to work long hours, leading to exhaustion and a bigger risk of mistakes happening
  • Inadequate training
  • Lack of protective equipment/clothing (workers are sometimes asked to pay for this or provide their own, which is illegal)
  • Problems with communication – if workers don’t speak fluent English, employees have a duty to make sure they understand how to perform workplace tasks safely

Unfortunately, the nature of the work that many migrants do means that some workplace injuries are left unreported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The effect of this is that risks are ignored and lessons aren’t learnt.

If you think that you’ve been injured because of your employer’s mistakes, our solicitors could help you claim compensation. Phone us on 0800 056 4110 for a free initial consultation about your case, or contact us online.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell?

By choosing us, you’ll be working with some of the best workplace accident lawyers in the country. We have a specialist team of solicitors who specialise in claims involving injuries at work and have a proven track record in claims involving migrant workers.

Our personal injury experts know what it takes to get you the settlement you deserve and have secured more than £1 billion in compensation for our clients over the past two years. We won’t only help you get compensation, but will also make sure that you can access the healthcare and support you need.

We’re aware that as a migrant worker, you might find communication in English difficult. However, by choosing us, things can be made much easier as we have team members who speak Polish.

Our solicitors are experienced in handling claims on behalf of migrant workers and could act for you if you’re:

  • An agency worker
  • A contractor
  • A casual worker
  • In a temporary role
  • Employed full or part-time

Here are some examples of our previous cases where we’ve helped migrant workers to get the compensation they deserve:

  • £62,000 compensation awarded to a Polish worker who fell from a ladder at work
  • Settlement for Polish agency worker who injured leg due to lack of training
  • Polish ship worker secured £450,000 after falling 20ft and fracturing his spine
  • £10,000 awarded to Polish labourer injured who seriously injured his thumb at work

If you would like to find out more about making an accident at work claim, contact us free today on 0800 056 4110.

Read More... Read Less...

What If I’m Self-Employed Or Employed By An Agency?

Even if you’re employed on a short term basis by an agency or “gangmaster” (a person who organises or oversees work for casual labourers), you’re entitled to a safe working environment.

This also applies if you’re classified as self-employed – the company you work for might still have a duty of care to do as much as they can to protect you from injury.

Your employment status can influence whether you’re entitled to benefits from your employer such as sick pay for any time off you’ve taken because of your injuries. Our specialist employment team can provide you with advice on these issues, making sure that you get the funds and security you’re entitled to.

We’ll draw on the expertise of specialist employment lawyers who can advise you on your rights and whether your employer broke the law.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Recognition

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides- which provides information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK.

Leading Firm - Legal 500 2017 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

We campaign to help prevent fatal accidents at work.

We work with Families Against Corporate Killers (FACK) to provide support to the relatives of those who have lost their lives in accidents at work.

FACK campaigns to bring workplaces to justice who haven’t complied with health and safety regulations and offers help with bereavement at this difficult time.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.