I manage the Serious Injury team in the Manchester Office and am passionate about getting our clients the rehabilitation and compensation awards they need after they have sustained serious injuries in an accident. I have recovered tens of millions of pounds of compensation for my clients during my career, over a wide range of complex serious injury cases representing clients with brain injury, spinal cord injury, amputations and complex orthopaedic injuries.
Some of my most recent settlements include:
- Young male sustained neck injuries rendering him tetraplegic in road traffic accident whilst passenger whereby I introduced a full case managed care package – compromise included periodical payments; settlement at gross present day value in excess of £10.7million
- Middle aged man sustained back injuries resulting in paraplegia arising out of fall from ladder – responsibility for the accident was heavily contested but settlement secured in the sum of £1.9million
- 38 year old male stationary in vehicle in layby when struck at 70mph – suffered catastrophic head injury, rehabilitation programme introduced including Residential Rehabilitation; settled on lump sum and periodical payments basis with a net present day value of £3.6m
- 35 year old man with bilateral below knee amputation sustained as a pedestrian hit by a car. Rehab package with Case Management and private prosthetic and physiotherapy provision. Settled for £1.28m
- 17 year old pedestrian struck by stolen vehicle suffering below knee amputation and seriously damaged remaining leg. Rehab Code was invoked and self contained extension to family home constructed within three months post accident. Revolutionary new prosthetics provided through private provider. Settled for £1.26m under Motor Insurers Bureau Uninsured Drivers Agreement
I have expertise in securing substantial interim payments, some in excess of £1m for the purpose of providing accommodation, establishing case managed care and rehabilitation schemes for my seriously injured.
I also handle professional negligence cases against other solicitors arising from badly handled personal injury claims, and regularly present on the topic of rehabilitation and quantification of damages to health care professionals
My team were short listed for the Personal Injury/Clinical Negligence Team of the Year at the Manchester Law Society Legal Awards, 2010.
We also won Claimant Solicitor of the Year in the 2016 Post Magazine Rehabilitation First Awards.
"Has exceptional judgement and a very kind manner with clients and opponents." - Chambers & Partners, 2018/19
"Extremely competent" - Legal 500, 2018/19
"He's someone who knows his matters inside and out; he has a really nice manner with clients." - Chambers & Partners, 2017
"At the top of his game, makes things happen, is very organised, personable, caring, patient and committed" - Legal 500, 2017
Jonathan is "a recognised talent" - Legal 500 2016
"He 'drives a hard bargain, fights his client's corner and gets the best deal possible,' enthused one source." - Chambers & Partners 2016
"Probably one of the best negotiators I've come across - he is streets ahead in terms of being able to get the best deal for his clients." - Chambers & Partners 2015
What Inspired You To Get Into Law?
Whilst at school, I was not sure of which career path to take. My father had an interest in the law having been a police officer and I was encouraged to do some work experience placements with solicitors, the police and the CPS. I did an A-level general studies module in Law and visited a number of Courts including the Royal Courts of Justice in London. With this experience I wanted to be a solicitor so undertook my law degree and Legal Practice Course. I was told by a tutor that I had "good interpersonal skills" which would be suited to personal injury work and I then secured a training contract with a Personal Injury firm, Alexander Harris.
What Is The Most Rewarding Aspect Of Your Role?
I take great pride in being able to help my clients and their families in their time of desperate need. This may be getting them the medical treatment, care, accommodation, aids, equipment and financial support they need in the immediate aftermath of the accident and injuries. I have to say that it never ceases to amaze me how much a simple "thank you" from my clients can mean to me when I have helped them get the compensation they need to provide for their future needs. I also have contact with a number of my ex clients who keep me appraised of everything they are getting up to (good and bad)
What Do You Like About Working At Irwin Mitchell?
I love working with a team of people who are absolutely and utterly dedicated to doing all they can for our clients and potential clients, even where that means pushing the boundaries of the current law. That is not only my team in the Manchester office, or the Personal Injury lawyers in the firm in general, but the lawyers in other areas of law who will assist us in getting people what they need and are entitled to. We have access to public law experts who can ensure that clients get the appropriate services and housing from the local authority or the medical treatment and drugs they need. I have a case at the moment where I think I have engaged six different areas of the law who work with me in the Manchester office
What Do You Do Away From The Office?
I am a keen participant in the Liverpool Irish Golf Society who keep reducing my handicap! I have recently been encouraged to ski which has taken me to some wonderful parts of the world. Unfortunately this requires some level of fitness so I have been known from time to time to attend a gym.
I am also a Trustee and Director of Citizens Advice Trafford