Woman Hospitalised and Diagnosed With Bacterial Infection Shigella Upon Return Home
A mum-of-one from Stockton-On-Tees has instructed lawyers to investigate after she fell seriously ill during a holiday at the Grand Sirenis Punta Cana Resort in the Dominican Republic.
Samantha Broadbent, 49, and her 13-year-old son Ben, travelled to the five-star hotel in August this year to celebrate him finishing primary school. They booked the trip through tour operator TUI UK Limited.
Following a two-week stay at the resort, Samantha was struck down with gastric symptoms including stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting.
Samantha attended hospital upon her return home and was treated with IV antibiotics. She was subsequently diagnosed with shigella, a bacterial infection.
She’s now instructed international serious injury experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how she became infected with shigella. The firm has successfully represented holidaymakers returning from the Grand Sirenis Punta Cana Resort in 2016, 2017, 2018 and more recently issued proceedings in the High Court in London regarding a case where a woman became infected with Legionnaires Disease and later died following a holiday at the hotel in the summer of 2019.
Expert Opinion“Samantha had been looking forward to treating Ben to a well-earned holiday after he finished primary school. Sadly, however, she fell ill at the end of the trip and ended up in hospital in the UK.
Shigella is a bacterial infection most commonly contracted by consuming food or water that has become contaminated. It can have a significant impact on those affected.
We’re now investigating how Samantha developed her illness and are determined to obtain the answers she deserves.
If, during the course of our investigation, any issues are identified, it’s vital that lessons are learned to help prevent other holidaymakers falling ill in the future.
We would be interested in speaking to anyone who may have been impacted by illness at this hotel who would be able to assist with our investigations."
Jatinder Paul, International Serious Injury Lawyer
Administrator Samantha and Ben arrived at the Grand Sirenis Punta Cana Resort on 7 August.
During the afternoon of 22 August, the last day of the holiday, Samantha began suffering from diarrhoea before getting on the plane home to Manchester. Upon her arrival back to the UK, she began complaining of stomach cramps. By that evening, she was vomiting.
Ben called an ambulance and Samantha was taken to hospital. Here, she was given fluids and treated with IV antibiotics. She remained in hospital overnight and underwent blood tests.
On 1 September, she was diagnosed with shigella.
Approaching two months on, Samantha continues to have ongoing symptoms including diarrhoea.
She said: “I booked the holiday so I could have some quality time with Ben after he finished school. We had both been really looking forward to it, but by the end of the trip I was really unwell.
“I heard of another family who were all sick. Food was left uncovered and reheated, with new food added to existing. There were also crabs and cats seen around the buffet, as well as spiders and flies. It really didn’t seem hygienic to me.
“I also recall plasters and bugs floating in the pool, which really isn’t something you expect from a five-star resort.”
She added: “I’m not someone who normally suffers with a delicate stomach, but it’s been awful since our holiday. I always have to make sure there’s a toilet around and there are some things I can’t eat now as they trigger it.
“To find out I had a bacterial infection was a huge shock and I deserve some answers. While I can’t change what I’ve been through, knowing how it happened might help stop others from suffering like I have.”
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases