Two People Including Seven-Year-Old Boy Diagnosed With Kidney Damage
Lawyers have been instructed to investigate after a number of people, who booked holidays with TUI UK Limited to Egypt, fell seriously ill.
Among those affected are a couple from Somerset and their seven-year-old son who went on to develop E.Coli and kidney failure. They fell ill during their holiday at the Jaz Mirabel Beach Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh. The boy was admitted to an intensive care unit at an Egyptian hospital and had to be flown back to the UK by air ambulance to continue treatment.
A Barnsley woman was also struck down with gastric symptoms following a stay at the sister building, the Jaz Mirabel Park Hotel, with her family to celebrate her birthday. She was hospitalised on her return to the UK and was diagnosed with salmonella and a kidney injury.
They have now instructed international serious injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate their illnesses.
Expert Opinion“Our clients had all been saving up for their holidays and couldn’t wait to get to Egypt. However, their dream trips turned into nightmares after they were struck down with gastric symptoms. It’s not the first time that we have represented holidaymakers staying at this resort and have successfully concluded claims relating to these hotels in previous years.
In both cases, things went from bad to worse when hospital treatment was needed. Two of our clients also went on to suffer kidney damage, which is very worrying.
The effects of gastric illness should never be downplayed as it can potentially lead to serious health conditions, as were the situations here.
Understandably, our clients have a number of questions and concerns over how they fell ill and we’re now investigating these. We’re determined to help provide them with the answers they deserve so if anyone has stayed at this resort this summer, we would be interested to hear from you if you experienced similar issues.”
Hannah Clifford, International Serious Injury Lawyer
Natalie and John McNally-Roberts from Burnham-On-Sea travelled to the Jaz Mirabel Beach Hotel on 25 May 2022, with their son Ethan.
During the following evening, John, 49, began suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting. Natalie, 42, fell ill the next day.
By 30 May, Ethan, aged seven at the time, was also being sick and had severe diarrhoea. He was taken to a medical centre on 31 May and admitted to the intensive care unit at a hospital in Sharm El Sheikh during the early hours of 1 June, which was the date the family were meant to fly home to the UK.
Five days later Ethan suffered a seizure where he choked and stopped breathing. He required resuscitation. It was following this that Ethan was diagnosed with Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome and needed to be transferred to another hospital in Cairo for specialist care. Here, he underwent peritoneal dialysis for 72 hours followed by around 20 hours of renal replacement therapy.
Natalie returned home on 8 June, while Ethan and John travelled back to the UK by air ambulance on 12 June. Ethan was subsequently admitted to hospital in Bristol, where he remained until 18 June.
Now eight, he requires regular monitoring of his kidney function.
Natalie, a commercial manager for a hotel, said: “This was Ethan’s first holiday abroad and we were all really excited. Within a few days, we were all sick. Seeing Ethan so unwell broke our hearts and when his condition worsened, we knew we had to get him to a hospital.
“What we went through was nothing short of traumatic and John and I were so scared that Ethan might die. No parent should have to go through what we did, it’s something that will take years to overcome. At times, we weren’t even allowed into the hospital in Egypt to see him; it was terrifying.
“We ended up having to stay in Egypt longer than we planned, and John and Ethan had to come home separately in an air ambulance. Leaving them in Egypt was one of the hardest things I had to do knowing how Ethan’s condition had continued to decline. It was such a relief when they got home, but even then, Ethan had to continue treatment and stay in hospital in Bristol for around a week.
“To this day, he’s still affected and has to have regular monitoring due to his kidney damage. He’s not long turned eight and the effects of the treatment in Egypt still psychologically impact him now, which is heart-breaking. He’s truly our hero for how he’s coped with all that he had to endure.
“I really wish we could turn back time and not go to Egypt, but sadly that’s not possible. While we can’t change anything, what we’ve had to endure is unacceptable and we demand some answers.”
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Jane Hughes, 50, from Barnsley, stayed at the Jaz Mirabel Park Hotel between 4 and 11 July. The holiday was booked to celebrate her birthday and she was joined by her husband, Mark, their children and their families.
On their journey home to the UK, Jane began feeling unwell. After arriving home, she suffered from nausea and diarrhoea. She also complained of hallucinations and had a high temperature and stomach cramps.
Her condition deteriorated and she was taken to hospital by ambulance, where she was admitted from 17 to 21 July. She was diagnosed and treated for salmonella and a kidney injury.
Four months later, Jane, who is a carer for her husband, has ongoing gastric issues.
She said: “I was looking forward to getting away with the whole family for my birthday and the holiday started off good. However, by the time we were going home, I didn’t quite feel right.
“It was such a shock when I was told that I had a kidney injury and to have to spend time in hospital was tough for me as I’m usually at home taking care of my husband. He relies on me for so many things and I felt so helpless not being there for him.
“When I think back, I recall the buffet being left uncovered and new food being added on top of existing food. There were often flies buzzing around it too, and I saw a lot of people using their hands instead of the utensils.
“I’m still not completely better and I know I can’t change what’s happened, but I feel like I deserve to know how I fell so seriously ill.”