Cardiff Family And Hampshire Lorry Driver Among Those Affected
Specialist lawyers have been instructed to investigate after holidaymakers suffered gastric illness while staying at the five-star Jaz Aquamarine Hotel in Egypt.
Those affected travelled to the resort in Hurghada between February and July this year and booked through tour operator TUI UK Ltd.
All complained of gastric symptoms, including diarrhoea, vomiting and lethargy. One holidaymaker from Cardiff was diagnosed with a bacterial infection by the hotel doctor, while a Hampshire lorry driver was put on a drip during his stay.
More than 15 of those who fell ill have now instructed specialist international serious injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate. The firm has successfully represented holidaymakers returning from the Jaz Aquamarine Hotel in 2016, 2017, 2018 and has also recently commenced Court proceedings for dozens of holidaymakers who holidayed at the resort in 2019.
Expert Opinion“To hear what our clients have been through while at this resort is deeply concerning. They had saved for a long time and had been looking forward to their holidays, which were ruined when they fell ill.
Gastric symptoms should never be downplayed as they can lead to long-term health issues, and this is not something you expect to be struck down with at a five-star hotel.
Our clients understandably have many questions regarding their illness and we’re now investigating these. If, during the course of our investigations, any issues are identified, it’s vital that lessons are learned to help prevent other holidaymakers from falling ill in the future.
We would be interested in speaking to anyone who may have been impacted by illness at this hotel who would be able to assist with our investigations.”
Hannah Clifford - Solicitor
Cardiff, South Glamorgan
Yasmeen McGrath, 28, travelled to the Jaz Aquamarine Hotel on 2 February with her husband Adam, 38, and their two daughters, Leila, four, and one-year-old Amelia. It was booked to celebrate Adam’s birthday and the couple’s third wedding anniversary.
A few days into their holiday, Amelia began suffering from vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy and then Yasmeen, and Leila also fell ill with similar symptoms. Adam fell ill the day after Yasmeen and Leila with diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach cramps and a fever. Amelia had to see the hotel doctor, who diagnosed her with a bacterial infection and administered antibiotics. Adam purchased medication and self-medicated with anti-sickness tablets.
Yasmeen said: “This was our first big holiday as a family of four and we were so excited to get away however it was a total nightmare. Amelia was the worst and it was horrible to have to see my baby girl so unwell.
“When I think back, the food at the hotel was often left uncovered for long periods, with new food added to the existing buffet. It all appeared to be re-heated and I remember some chicken looking undercooked. Even the desserts looked to be kept at room temperature rather than being refrigerated. It’s really not what you expect from a five-star hotel.
“There’s nothing we can do now to change what we’ve been through, we just want some answers as to how this happened."
Lorry driver Richard Brooker-Protheroe, 32, arrived at the Jaz Aquamarine Hotel with his family on 20 June and within days Richard was suffering from stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting. His condition worsened and he sought medical care from the hotel’s doctor He was put on a drip and given medication.
The family flew back to the UK on 4 July. Richard contacted his GP two days later, who prescribed antibiotics.
A month on, his bowel habits are still not back to normal.
Richard said: “I’m not one to be fussy about food but I did notice that a lot of it was warm at the bottom but cold on top, as well as being left uncovered.
“In addition, food which you would expect to be chilled, like salad, was left out in the open and became limp. There were also a lot of birds around the restaurant.
“I also recall the pools weren’t cleaned regularly until complaints were made, and I know of a couple of families falling ill after being in the pool.
"After everything with Covid, we were really looking forward to being able to go away, but the whole holiday was ruined. All I want now is some answers; it’s the least we all deserve.”