North Yorkshire Man And Retired Elite Swimmer From Merseyside Among Those Affected After Eating Pork Scratchings From Bolton
Specialist lawyers have been instructed to investigate after a Salmonella outbreak linked to pork scratchings made in a Bolton-based factory.
An emergency recall of Mr Porky products was announced last month following reports of 179 people suffering from diarrhoea, vomiting and fever. A number were also reported to have been taken to hospital.
The pork scratchings were produced by Tayto Group Ltd, which is known as Britain’s largest snack producer and which makes products such as Mr Porky, Jay’s and The Real Pork Crackling Company. At the time of the reports, Public Health England and the Food Standards Agency urged people not to eat packets with a best-before date up to February 2022.
A spokesman for the Tayto Group has said: “The safety of our products is of the utmost importance, which is why we have taken the decision to initiate a precautionary recall for some products. We are working closely with the local environmental health team and the FSA at this time.”
Among those affected is a man from Malton, North Yorkshire, who was hospitalised and diagnosed with Salmonella Infantis after eating pork scratchings, and a retired elite swimmer from Merseyside.
They are among a group of people who have now instructed public health experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate their illnesses. The legal team supports people affected by illness outbreaks such as the well-known outbreaks of Salmonella at the Real China restaurant and the Newcastle Spice Festival, as well as the much publicised Chapman and Sons butchers Salmonella outbreak in 2018.
Expert Opinion“We’re extremely concerned to hear of the symptoms our clients have suffered after consuming pork scratchings.
Salmonella is a very serious bacterial infection which can often lead to ongoing and long-lasting health problems. Sadly, through our work, we’re all too familiar with the long-term impact of the condition, and in some cases it can even result in lasting injuries or even death.
We’re aware of a large number of individuals who say they have been affected by this outbreak and we would be interested in speaking to anyone who may have been impacted by this incident who would be able to assist with our investigations.
While we welcome the product recall, we’re now investigating further in order to provide our clients with the answers they deserve.
It’s also vital that, where appropriate, lessons are learned to improve food hygiene standards.
We’ll be supporting our clients throughout the process.”
Jatinder Paul - Senior Associate Solicitor
Malton, North Yorkshire
Sebastian Thornton, 37, said he ate Mr Porky pork scratchings as part of a Thai dish and shortly afterwards he fell ill on 1 July with fever, diarrhoea, sweats, and lethargy. He also experienced shakes and was passing blood.
The self-employed professional joiner was hospitalised on 4 July as a result of his illness. He was discharged on 6 July with antibiotics.
The impact of Sebastian’s illness lasted around six weeks, during which time he had to postpone any jobs booked in.
Sebastian said: “By the time I heard about the recall, I had already eaten the pork scratchings. Within a few days, I felt awful.
“I ended up having to go into hospital and after I was discharged I was told I had salmonella infantis. It was a huge shock. The impact of my illness lasted for around six weeks, so I wasn’t able to work during that time.
“It’s really worrying to think that so many other people have also been struck down with symptoms of salmonella. I feel it’s important that an investigation takes place to try and prevent this from happening to others in the future.”
Daniel Roberts, 40, fell ill on 21 August. He complained of fever nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and urgency.
By the end of August, Daniel, a retired elite swimmer, was still suffering. He called NHS 111 for advice.
Daniel said: “I’ve never felt so unwell before and it continued for so long that I had to contact the NHS. I was really worried when I heard that it could be salmonella.
“I’m still feeling a little off, more than a month on. I really hope that it’s investigated as I wouldn’t wish what I went through on my worst enemy.”
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling public health cases