Half-Term ‘Nightmare’ In Greece for Couple And Children
A family of four from Suffolk have instructed specialist international injury lawyers to investigate after they fell ill with gastric symptoms during their stay at a four-star hotel in Corfu.
John and Natasha, from Suffolk, stayed at the Roda Beach Resort and Spa with their twin girls Katya and Sasha. The trip during October half-term was booked through tour operator TUI UK Limited.
The family reported suffering from gastric symptoms, including vomiting and diarrhoea, during the holiday. They also complained of lethargy and dizziness.
Following their return to the UK, they have approached international personal injury experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate their symptoms and whether more could have been done to prevent them. The legal team has also been contacted by three members of another family who also suffered gastric illness after staying at the Roda Beach Resort and Spa last month.
Expert Opinion“The first-hand account we’ve had from John and Natasha regarding the symptoms that they and their children suffered from while staying at the Roda Beach Resort and Spa in Corfu is very concerning.
The effects of gastric illness can be severe and should never be downplayed as those affected can often be left with lasting issues.
We’re determined to support the family and help them gain the answers that they deserve and would like to hear from anyone similarly affected at the resort who could assist us with our investigations.
It’s vital that, where appropriate, any lessons are learned to improve health and safety for other holidaymakers.”
Jatinder Paul - Senior Associate Solicitor
The family’s holiday ran from 22 to 29 October. Sasha, 11, suffered severe vomiting during the night of 24 October and early hours of 25 October. She also complained of feeling lethargic and dizzy. Natasha, late 40’s, stayed in the hotel with her the following day as she felt weak.
John, 70, and Katya, 11, felt nauseous on the morning of 26 October. Shortly afterwards, they both began vomiting and John also developed diarrhoea and headaches. Katya felt weak and stayed in bed for the remainder of the day.
Natasha suffered vomiting during the early hours of 27 October, accompanied by lethargy, headaches and aches and pains.
The family spent the remainder of their holiday recovering, with some symptoms continuing until 2 November.
Natasha, a language teacher, said: “Everyone has had such a terrible year with the pandemic, so we were so excited to finally be getting on holiday. We really thought we would have the best time, but sadly it didn’t turn out that way.
“When we got there, we noticed a few things we were shocked to see at a four-star hotel including dirty table linen and crockery, and food being served uncovered and lukewarm. We also saw cats and birds in and around the restaurant, as well as flies landing on the food and we had an infestation of ants in our hotel room.
“During our time there, we heard from other guests who were also struck down by illness and had complained to the hotel reception, so we know it wasn’t just us. The whole thing was a complete nightmare, and we spent most of our holiday in our hotel room, missing out on all the entertainment and activities available.
“While we can’t change what happened, we just want to know why so many were ill and if more could have been to prevent it. We also want to ensure that any necessary improvements are made to make the hotel safer for others in the future.”