Problems Left Husband Needing Extensive Hospital Treatment
A Crawley man hospitalised after being diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease following a holiday in Goa, India, has international serious injury experts to help him gain answers regarding his illness.
Anthony Morris, 66, has revealed how during his holiday with his wife Kay, aged 59, he developed symptoms which started with tiredness, and then progressed to a high temperature and a severe headache. The symptoms started almost three weeks in to their four week stay at the 4- star Phoenix Park Inn by Radisson in Goa. The holiday was booked in the UK with TUI UK Limited.
Anthony’s condition deteriorated to the point where he required extensive hospital treatment during the holiday, with Anthony staying in hospital for several days after a chest x-ray confirmed he had pneumonia. He was given oxygen and antibiotics and was told that fluids had gone in to his lungs so he was transferred to a different hospital where a scan was taken which showed a collapsed lung.
Eventually, the pair were able to return to the UK where Anthony was admitted to Redhill Hospital in Surrey. Following tests he was diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease. Still suffering with symptoms, Anthony, from Crawley, has been told by doctors that his recovery from the illness could take a long time.
The ambi lift driver who works airside at Gatwick has now instructed Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Serious Injury team to investigate how he developed his illness. The legal experts have vast experience of providing advice and support to individuals affected by illness outbreaks both in resorts and on cruise ships across the globe, including the families of those who have sadly lost their lives as a result of Legionnaires’ disease such as the victims of the Stoke-on-Trent and Edinburgh Legionnaires disease outbreaks in 2012.
Expert Opinion“Anthony remains understandably shocked and frustrated by this illness and unfortunately he is still living with the after effects. We have commenced investigations into his experience.
“Legionnaires’ is extremely dangerous and can have long-term health consequences for those diagnosed with the disease or can even prove fatal. A case of this nature really puts the seriousness of holiday illness problems in the spotlight, as it shows just how significant such problems can prove to be.
“Many questions have been raised by what has happened and we are now determined to support Anthony by ensuring he gets the answers he deserves. It is vital that anybody who displays the symptoms of Legionnaires’ disease seeks medical help at the earliest opportunity.
“We would be interested in speaking to any other guests who have stayed at this hotel to provide us with further information and eye-witness accounts of the issues reported at the hotel in order to assist us with our investigations.” Jatinder Paul - Senior Associate Solicitor
Anthony recalled: “I was struggling to sleep properly and then I started to suffer with a headache. Eventually it became clear that something wasn’t right and I went to the local hospital for a blood test. Shortly after that I developed a high temperature.”
Anthony was also examined again after his condition worsened. A chest X-ray then confirmed pneumonia and Anthony stayed in hospital for several days. He then returned a few days later due to a build-up of fluid on his lungs.
He said: “At one point I was terrified I was never going to make it home to see my kids or my grandkids again. I felt so unwell. Both of us were just desperate to get home and when we did I went straight to hospital. Tests later confirmed my Legionnaires’ disease and I was just in a state of shock.
“The whole ordeal has been a nightmare and I want to know how this could have happened. While I am on medication, I am still trying to coming to terms with the effects of the illness and I was really concerned to hear that this could have a long lasting impact on my health.
“Kay and I never expected this to happen during our stay. I am so frustrated and want some answers regarding how this emerged. It has been awful.”
Find out more on Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases