Former Guest Admitted To Hospital After Suffering with Symptoms For More Than a Week
A man has instructed specialist lawyers to investigate after he fell ill with Legionnaires’ disease linked to a Bournemouth hotel.
David Lawrence was admitted to hospital after complaining of symptoms including diarrhoea, sickness, dehydration and confusion following a stay at the Royal Bath Hotel.
Following tests the 49-year-old was diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease, a serious and potentially fatal bacterial infection which is usually transmitted via small water droplets from stagnant water.
Lawyers Investigate After Man's Royal Bath Hotel Stay
David, from Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, instructed expert public health lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate and establish answers as to why he fell ill.
Public Health England has confirmed that it is investigating Legionella control at the hotel where David and his partner stayed in August.
Expert Opinion“David has faced an incredibly difficult few months and is still suffering with symptoms connected to his illness.
“Through our work we have sadly seen on numerous occasions how Legionnaires’ disease can have a debilitating impact on those affected, often leaving them struggling with long-term health conditions.
“We’re now investigating David concerns and how he fell ill. We’re determined to provide him with the answers he deserves and to assist us with our investigations we would be interested in speaking to any others with similar symptoms following stays at this hotel.
“If members of the public start experiencing symptoms connected to Legionnaires’ disease it’s crucial that they seek immediate medical advice.” Jatinder Paul - Senior Associate Solicitor
Royal Bath Hotel Bournemouth Guest Starts Feeling Unwell
David, and his partner checked into the Royal Bath Hotel on 5 August. Shortly after checking in David got a shower to freshen up after his journey from Wolverhampton.
David started to feel unwell the following day with diarrhoea, stomach cramps and lethargy. At first he thought he may have food poisoning. However, David’ condition continued to deteriorate.
The couple, who have two children, checked out of the hotel on 7 August to return home, and David’s condition continued to worsen. He was admitted to hospital on 16 August where doctors diagnosed Legionnaires’. He spent two days in hospital.
Man Diagnosed With Legionnaires' Week After Hotel Stay
David said: “At first I just thought it was something I had eaten and tried to continue on and make the most of our staycation. However, I continued to feel worse. My stomach cramps got worse and I started to feel tired and lethargic.
“I just wanted to get home. However, over the coming days my symptoms worsened to the point where I was talking gibberish and my partner decided to call an ambulance as it was completely out of character for me. I recall the ambulance arriving at the house, but not much more after that.”
David added: “I was shocked to be told I had Legionnaires’ as the doctors initially thought it was sepsis. You hear about it but you don’t expect to go away for a couple of days and then be admitted to hospital a week later.
“Nothing can make up for what happened but I just want to know what caused my illness and whether more could have been done to prevent it.”
Find out more about our expertise in helping people diagnosed with Legionnaires' disease at our specialist illness section. Alternatively to speak to an expert contact us or call 0370 1500 100.