Information Sought On Two Former Employers
The family of a Newcastle-upon-Tyne electrician who died of asbestos-related cancer has issued an emotional appeal for answers regarding his death.
John “Jack” Iley from Shiremoor, died less than seven months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma – a cancer of the lining of the lung which is most commonly associated with exposure to asbestos materials.
Prior to his death aged 81, the father-of-three and grandfather-of-seven, instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his illness and how he came to develop it.
His family, including wife Jane, 76, are now determined to honour Jack’s memory by establishing the answers as to what caused his death.
The family’s legal team believe Jack may have been exposed to asbestos during his working life. It is particularly keen for details on the working conditions he would have faced while employed by Watson Norie Ltd in the late 1960s, as well as the potential presence of asbestos during his work for Troughton & Young, which became Haden Young, between 1968 and 1978.
Expert Opinion“This is yet another case which vividly highlights the terrible legacy that use of asbestos has created.
“Jack’s loved ones are understandably devastated by their loss and remain desperate for answers regarding how he came to develop the disease which took his life.
“Through our investigations we have determined that asbestos exposure could have taken place during his time with these two companies, but we now need more information if we are to determine if that is the case.
“We would be grateful if anyone who worked with Jack during the relevant periods would be able to come forward and provide some insight regarding what he would have faced. Any detail could prove vital as we continue our work on this case.” Emma Bell - Senior Associate Solicitor
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases
Prior to his death, Jack told Irwin Mitchell that he worked at Newcastle-based Watson Norie Ltd from 1966 to 1968, although he did leave for a short period in that time to work elsewhere. He recalled that the company was an electrical contracting firm and he remembered working on various sites, including fitting cables at an industrial plant at Seal Sands in Hartlepool.
Jack then worked for Haden Young from 1968 to 1978. The company was also known for a period as Troughton Young, while there was also a time it was referred to as Haden Electrical.
He again worked at a range of sites for the company and remembered being employed at the Jeremiah Ambler textiles factory in Peterlee for around two years. He also did work on several schools including Shotton Hall and specifically recalled working on an extension at the site.
Jack, who enjoyed spending time at his caravan in Boulmer, Northumberland, and walking in the Northumberland countryside, died in September 2017.
Jane said: “Jack was the most loving and caring man who was never happier than when spending time with his family or out walking. It was absolutely awful to see how mesothelioma had such an impact on him in the final months of his life.
“Before his diagnosis we didn’t really know much about the disease but we now know how devastating it can be.
“The whole family still miss him so much and continue to have so many questions about how he developed the illness. We know nothing can bring him back but we at least deserve to know how Jack was exposed to the asbestos which took him from us.”
Latest Health and Safety Executive figures show that deaths from asbestos - a substance dubbed the ‘silent killer’ - remain at crisis levels, claiming around 5,000 lives a year.
Irwin Mitchell has been handling asbestos-related disease cases for over 35 years and is a leading firm in this specialist area, having worked on some of the biggest landmark cases that have led directly to changes in the law.
There is estimated to be six million tonnes of asbestos in the UK, most in buildings, factories and homes. Any building constructed before 1980 for example, may contain asbestos.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Stephanie Wilson at Irwin Mitchell’s Newcastle office on 0191 279 0095 or email firstname.lastname@example.org