Irwin Mitchell Receive Reports Of Families falling Ill Including Youngster Who Contracted E-Coli
A group of over 100 holidaymakers have instructed specialist international personal injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate an outbreak of illness which ruined their stay at a five-star beach resort.
Dozens of holidaymakers contracted serious conditions including a case of E Coli and a case of Salmonella infection after staying at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort in Egypt.
Members of a family of 16, were among those to have been struck down by illness after booking their trip through tour operator TUI UK Limited, trading as First Choice. Children aged as young as three and seven-months-old were among those to suffer severe diarrhoea and sickness.
Richard and Natasha Hornsby, from Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, jetted off for the two-week stay at the resort on July 3, with children Jake, then seven months, Jessica, aged nine and three year old Finley.
The couple, aged 38 and 29, said they both fell ill as did their children and they had to seek medical treatment on their return to the UK.
Nichola Blackburn, an International Personal Injury specialist for Irwin Mitchell, is now representing over 100 holidaymakers in a group action against tour operator TUI UK Ltd, trading as First Choice.
Expert OpinionIllnesses such as gastroenteritis, to include those caused by E Coli and Salmonella can have serious, long-term health implications for those who are struck down.
“We have received and worryingly continue to receive many similar reports that people have fallen ill while staying at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort over this summer. Concerns include instances of poor food hygiene and incidents of faeces in the swimming pool, which some of our clients witnessed and believe were not dealt with swiftly.
“Irwin Mitchell is now representing over 100 people who were affected by illness at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort. We would encourage anyone who stayed at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort this year and has since experienced gastric symptoms, to see their GP at the earliest available opportunity. We would also like to speak with them as they may be able to help with our investigations.
“TUI UK Ltd, trading as First Choice, has responded in relation to a number of our clients’ claims confirming that they are denying any liability. We have urged them to reconsider their stance in light of the vast number of people who have fallen ill during their stay at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort and the serious cases of illness that have been reported.” Nichola Blackburn - Paralegal
Upon their return to the UK Richard and Natasha took Jake, who they have advised was born with one kidney, to their GP.
Jake, who fell ill two days before the family were due to fly home, had to undergo several courses of antibiotics, various medical tests and was admitted to hospital upon returning home for overnight treatment after he was diagnosed with E Coli.
E Coli is a bacterial infection and more severe cases can lead to serious complications including bloody urine, dehydration and kidney failure. Older adults and young children are more at risk of developing serious complications from E Coli infections.
Natasha said she is still continuing to suffer with diarrhoea.
Her brother Ashley Coughtrey had travelled to the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort with his wife Joanne Coughtrey to celebrate their first wedding anniversary.
Ashley, 28, also from Hemel Hempstead fell ill on 6 July. Test showed he had contracted salmonella. He is still suffering ongoing symptoms, including gastric related symptoms and groin pains.
His son Zack, three, also suffered sickness and diarrhoea as did his wife Joanne.
Both Natasha and Ashley have told their legal team at Irwin Mitchell that on occasions they saw food left uncovered, they witnessed on occasions raw meat placed next to cooked meat, chefs sometimes not changing gloves or washing their hands after handling raw meat and that dishes were a number of times served lukewarm. They also said that they witnessed instances of faeces in the swimming pool.
Their grandparents, Joan and Bob Britton aged 78 and 73, were initially unable to leave their room much due to suffering with severe diarrhoea.
Natasha said: “I felt so guilty when the doctor told me Jake’s illness had probably been caused by him going abroad.
“To see Jake in the pain he was experiencing was terrible. I felt so helpless and with Jake’s past medical history his illness was even more frightening. As soon as I was told he had contracted E Coli I blamed myself. To think that Jake could have potentially died because of his illness is gut wrenching.
“We as a family just want to warn people of the consequences of contracting such illness.”
Ashley said: “With my grandparents growing older this was meant to be a dream holiday where all the family would go away for one last time and me
and Joanne could celebrate our first anniversary.
“We had been saving for months to afford it, however, what should have been a holiday from which we all went home with lasting memories, turned into a nightmare.
“We are not surprised that other people have been unfortunate and fallen ill at the hotel. We now want to know what caused our illnesses.”
If you have been on holiday to the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Resort in Egypt and have information which could help the group’s legal team with its investigation, please contact Nichola Blackburn on 0370 1500 100 or email email@example.com
Read more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases.