Joanne advises organisations across all sectors on data protection and privacy.
She advises on data protection compliance programs (including drafting suites of policies and procedures, privacy notices and other documentation) for a broad range of clients, including national retailers, multi-national manufacturers, schools and colleges, sports clubs and property developers.
She also advises on:
- The compliant export of personal data and the impact of Schrems II and Brexit;
- Data sharing and processor contracts;
- How to carry out legitimate interest and data protection impact assessments;
- How to market under GDPR including how to draft and obtain compliant consents.
In addition, she advises on how to deal with the more contentious data protection issues such as complaints to the ICO and the notification of data breaches and provides swift, pragmatic and knowledgeable advice to help clients through what can be a challenging process.
She also advises on complex data subject access requests and those made in the context of complaints.
- Advising upon and being the legal project management lead for a multi-national manufacturer’s GDPR readiness programme in Eurasia which involved a multi-jurisdictional audit and drafting global and Eurasia specific internal policies and procedures, privacy notices and negotiating contracts
- Advising schools and colleges on subject access requests, data breaches, risks relating to staff and student monitoring and CCTV issues
- Assisting a well-known housing developer on their GDPR compliance programme. This has included advising them on subject access requests in addition to assisting them in drafting their customer privacy notices and internal procedures.
- Assisting a high street retailer with their GDPR readiness programme and ongoing compliance
- Advising sports clubs on issues relating to compliance in the context of children’s personal data.
- Advising on ICO complaints relating to affiliate marketing, allegations of unauthorised direct marketing and failure to meet data minimisation and security requirements.
Joanne Bone is a "Leading Individual (Band 2)." – Chambers & Partners, 2021 & 2022
Joanne Bone "is highly professional in her approach, whilst being easy to chat to. There is no problem too big or too small to discuss with her, she always has a friendly tone and is available whenever required. Her advice is thorough, concise and always on point." – Legal 500, 2020
A client says "She's like an extension of our legal team." – Chambers & Partners, 2018
Sources say she is "very good and responsive, and always gets back to us quickly. She doesn't sit on the fence – she points us in the right direction." – Chambers & Partners 2015