0370 1500 100

Preston Woman's Holiday From Hell

Tunisia Holiday illness


A Preston woman is taking legal action against a tour operator following her very own holiday from hell in Tunisia.

Brenda Marsh from Preston, Lancashire, travelled to the Icemela Deluxe Hotel in Tunisia during September this year and was struck down with gastric illness. Brenda believes her illness was a result of the appalling hygiene conditions at the hotel.

She is now taking legal action against tour operator Goldtrail Holidays. Commenting on the trip Brenda said: "On first impressions the hotel looked lovely, however, when I went to the dining room I was in for a shock. The food was left uncovered, the hot food was cold and the salads were warm from being left out for such a long time under hot lights without being covered."

An angry Brenda continued, "The crockery and glasses in the restaurant were dirty and there were cats running around the restaurant."

After a few days of the holiday Brenda began to suffer with diarrhoea and stomach cramps. When she reported her illness to a member of staff at the hotel she was advised to go to the chemist.

She recalls: "There were nurses going around the hotel checking on people and the resort doctor was at the Icemela Hotel everyday – it soon became apparent that I wasn't the only person in the hotel that was ill – it was as if there was an epidemic! I often saw ambulances pulling up to the hotel which frightened me as I was worried that I would be next."

Suki Chhokar, a partner in the International Travel Litigation Group at Irwin Mitchell solicitors, said: "Until health and safety standards are improved in such hotels, we can see no end to the numerous claims that are being made against tour operators.

"As a result of the conditions at the Icemela Hotel Brenda could suffer long-term health problems and so tour operators need to be aware of their duties towards their customers and comply with the proper health and hygiene standards.

"It is very worrying that our clients were not warned about the outbreak at the hotel and we hope that correct procedures are followed to avoid this type of outbreak in the future."