Couple say Scores Of Other Holidaymakers Also Fell Ill At Houda Yasmine Marina
A Birmingham couple struck down with severe gastric illness while on holiday in Tunisia have instructed lawyers to investigate.
Sylvia Jagger and David Hurlston both fell ill during a holiday at the four-star Houda Yasmine Marina resort in Hammamet. The pair, aged 64 and 63, had booked the holiday via tour operator Love Holidays.
The retired couple from Northfield, Birmingham stayed at the resort between 8 and 22 December, 2023, as part of celebrations for their 1st wedding anniversary. By 17th December 2023, both had been struck down with gastric illness.
Sylvia suffers from heart disease in addition to other medical conditions. The couple became concerned as she couldn’t keep her medication down because of the symptoms. On returning to the UK, both Sylvia and David had blood tests with their GP and are awaiting the results.
The couple have now instructed specialist international serious injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate their illness.
The law firm has already been contacted by a further seven clients who fell ill at the same hotel during the same period, although Sylvia and David believe there were scores of other guests who fell ill with gastric symptoms during their stay.
Expert Opinion“The first-hand account we have received from Sylvia and David about their illnesses while abroad is very worrying.
“However, what’s even more concerning is that other guests at the resort have also contacted us reporting they fell ill during their holiday. All state that they know they were not alone in being ill.
“Sylvia and David and the others we represent have many questions concerning how they fell ill. If during the course of our investigations any issues are identified, it’s vital that lessons are learned to prevent others from falling ill in the future.
“We would be interested in speaking to anyone who may have been impacted by illness at this hotel who would be able to assist with our investigations.” Jatinder Paul
Sylvia and David fell ill with sickness, stomach cramps and diarrhoea, 3 days into their stay.
Sylvia, a retired nurse, was able to take steps to look after herself and David and self-medicated with electrolyte powder drinks to put water and salts back into her body. As their illness continued, the couple approached hotel management and then became aware that others had reported falling ill with similar symptoms.
Sylvia said: “This holiday was meant to be a special treat for David and I to mark our anniversary, so we went a bit further than usual and booked a four star hotel, which we thought would secure certain standards. We couldn’t have been more wrong.
“The hotel was not in great condition. When we complained about cold or undercooked food, we were directed towards an old rusty microwave that was absolutely filthy and no one was too keen on using that.
“There were ants, flies and cockroaches everywhere and the same utensils were used to cook and hand out food.
“We had two meetings with the hotel and a translator in the foyer. Initially there were around 20 guests there, but the numbers had grown by the second meeting to what looked like 40-odd people. They kept saying it was a virus.
“Another guest who was a chef, bought a thermometer and was testing the temperature of the food.
“We think the least we and others who fell ill at this hotel deserve is answers.
“I’ve never seen so many people complaining at a hotel at once. I’ve never felt so ill that’s why we feel it’s important to get answers.”