Anglesey Mum Diagnosed With Diagnosed With Parasitic Infection Cryptosporidium And Six-Year-Old Daughter Among Those To Fall Ill
More than 70 holidaymakers, including a mum and daughter from Anglesey, have instructed specialist international serious injury lawyers to investigate after they suffered gastric illness following a stay at the Hotel Aqua Mirage in Marrakech.
Chelsea Hagan and her six-year-old daughter Darcey travelled to the four-star resort in Morocco last September with four other family members. Their week-long trip was booked through tour operator TUI UK Limited.
On their return home, Darcey became unwell with gastric symptoms including diarrhoea and vomiting. Around a week later, Chelsea, 29, also fell ill with sickness, diarrhoea, headaches, fatigue and stomach pain. She also began vomiting blood.
Wales mum Chelsea diagnosed with cryptosporidium following holiday
Chelsea’s condition worsened. She attended A&E and was administered intravenous (IV) fluids and anti-sickness medication. She was subsequently diagnosed with cryptosporidium, a parasitic infection commonly transmitted to the human body through contaminated water.
Following her diagnosis, Chelsea, a trainee painter and decorator, has now asked lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate her and her daughter’s illness. Chelsea continues to suffer from diarrhoea and mild gastritis, which is when the stomach becomes inflamed.
Expert Opinion“The first-hand account we’ve heard from Chelsea about her illness and the similar symptoms suffered by Darcey as well as others are deeply concerning.
“Chelsea was diagnosed with cryptosporidium following hospital tests, and what’s particularly worrying is that she continues to be affected by her illness a year on.
“Chelsea and Darcey are just two of among more than 70 people who stayed at this hotel over the summer and autumn of 2022 only to be struck down with gastric illness. Others we represent suffered illnesses including cryptosporidium, e.coli, campylobacter and salmonella, all of which can have long-term impacts on health.
“Understandably our clients continue to have question and concerns about what happened to them. We’re now investigating those concerns to provide them with the answers they deserve.
“If during the course of our investigations, any issues are identified, it’s vital lessons are learned, and other travellers are spared the suffering and distress that holiday illness and its impact can cause.
“As part of our ongoing investigations, we are still keen to hear from anyone who stayed at the Hotel Aqua Mirage last year and suffered similar symptoms.” Sarita Sharma
Holiday illness: Chelsea and Darcey's story
Chelsea and Darcey’s holiday took place between 9 and 16 September, 2022. They travelled with other family members.
On the day they returned to the UK, Darcey fell ill. Chelsea took her to the GP on two occasions. During the second appointment she was referred to hospital.
Chelsea’s illness began around 24 September. As her symptoms worsened, she phoned NHS 111 due to vomiting blood. She was advised to attend A&E. She underwent various tests and was given pain medication as well as IV fluids.
She was sent home from hospital on 29 September but returned the following day with dehydration and low blood sugar. She was administered another IV drip and was diagnosed with cryptosporidium.
Darcey’s symptoms eased around 7 October, however Chelsea has ongoing health issues.
Chelsea reveals impact illness continue to have
Chelsea said: “When Darcey started being sick, I thought maybe it was from the heat on holiday, but after a few days I ended up taking her to the hospital as she wasn’t getting any better. It was awful seeing my little girl so unwell.
“Then I fell ill, and I couldn’t believe how bad I got. I’ve never felt stomach pain like it. I spent almost a day in hospital vomiting. It was horrendous.
“To find out I had a gastric infection was a huge shock and not something you expect just after returning from holiday. However, when I think back I can recall that the hygiene standards at the resort weren’t great.
“I remember raw meat was put next to cooked meat and people would pick at the food with their hands. At one stage, one of the toilet cubicles by the pool was covered in diarrhoea and vomit; it was disgusting.
“Almost a year on, I’m still not 100 per cent. While I know there’s nothing I can do to change what we’ve been through, I want some answers. I feel it’s the least we deserve.”
Find out more about our expertise in helping people following serious illness abroad at our dedicated international serious injury section. Alternatively, to speak to an expert contact us or call 0370 1500 100.