Loved Ones Ask Medical Negligence Lawyers To Investigate
The family of a Wrexham man who died after an infection in his foot led to his left leg being amputated, have spoken out on their devastating loss.
John Jones, who had Parkinson’s disease, developed a pressure sore on his left foot which became infected. He was seen by a practice nurse and district nurse, however the infection progressed.
Shortly afterwards, John was admitted to a nursing home after his wife, Glenys suffered a fall and was unable to care for him. Upon admission, a pressure ulcer risk assessment was performed, with the sore categorised as high risk and ungradable. A plan was put in place for it to be checked and dressings renewed daily, however this didn’t happen.
John’s pressure sore worsened and around two months after he was admitted to the nursing home, he was seen by a GP. John was suspected to have sepsis, which sees the body attack itself in response to an infection. He was taken to hospital by ambulance.
Two days later, he underwent an above the knee amputation of his left leg due to gangrene.
Dad-of-2, John was discharged from hospital after four months. He died seven months later, aged 76, in February 2020.
John and his family instructed expert medical negligence lawyers at Irwin Mitchell in April 2019, just after John’s amputation, to investigate the care he received in relation to his infected pressure sore and whether more could have been done to treat it earlier. After John’s sad passing, the investigation expanded to include John’s death as a possible result of his infection and amputation.
Expert Opinion“John was a much-loved husband, dad and granddad who was adored by his family and friends, and it’s been incredibly difficult for them coming to terms with his death and what he went through beforehand.
“Understandably they also have a number of concerns about the events that unfolded in the year prior to John’s death, particularly around the care provided to him around the infection in his foot. We’re now investigating these further and helping the family obtain the answers they deserve.
“For any issues identified, it’s vital that lessons are learned to improve patient care.” Ruxandra Chirita, Solicitor
The pressure sore on John’s left heel developed in November 2018. The following month, he was seen by a practice nurse and district nurse on several occasions. However, during that time he wasn’t seen by a tissue viability nurse, who deals with non-healing wounds, as he should have been.
Former bus driver, John was admitted to the nursing home on 30 December 2018.
John was taken to hospital on 5 March 2019 and underwent a below-the-knee amputation surgery of his left leg on 7 March due to developed gangrene as a result of untreated wound.
He was finally discharged home on 15 July. He and his wife Glenys had to leave their beloved bungalow and moved into a property more suited to John’s needs.
John’s condition deteriorated in the following months and he sadly died on 26 February, 2020, from pneumonia and gastric emphysema.
John leaves two daughters, Rhian Deslandes, 44 and Helen Browne, 48 and five grandchildren, aged between 9 and 16.
His daughters, Rhian and Helen said: “When John was in the nursing home, we were visiting him regularly.
“We recall one time going in and there was a very offensive smell coming from his foot, but the nurses didn’t seem too concerned about it which I was surprised about.
“We also noticed a big deterioration in dad himself during the months leading up to him being admitted to hospital. He had become very withdrawn and I could tell something wasn’t right.
“To then be told he needed an amputation was a huge shock. He was unable to have a prosthetic leg due to his Parkinson’s and while he eventually accepted he had lost his leg, he was never quite the same again.
“It’s been a tough few year coming to terms with losing our much beloved dad, grandad and husband in such a devastating way. He was the most devoted husband and dad and is missed by us all every day.
“As a family, we also have a number of questions over the care and treatment dad received, and we are determined to get some answers to honour his memory. It’s the least he deserves.”
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in supporting people and families affected by sepsis at our dedicated sepsis claims section. Alternatively, to speak to an expert contact us or call 0808 291 4601.