Man Hospitalsied And Diagnosed With Stomach Inflammation And Internal Bleeding
A Dorchester family struck down with severe gastric illness on holiday have launched a legal action against their tour operator.
Anthony Baker and his nephew, Corbin Baker both fell ill during a holiday to the Jaz Makadi Saraya Hotel and Jaz Makadi Aquaviva Hotel in Egypt.
The pair, aged 56 and 14 respectively, had spent a week at the 5-star Jaz Makadi Aquaviva along with Anthony’s sister and Corbin’s mum, Sharon Baker, aged 51.
The trio transferred to the nearby Jaz Makadi Saraya Hotel after Anthony dislocated his shoulder when using the water slide at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva hotel.
Hours after arriving at the Jaz Makadi Saraya Hotel on 24 April, both Corbin and Anthony fell ill with stomach cramps and severe diarrhoea. A doctor was called, and Anthony was placed on a drip and given medication while Corbin was given medication.
On returning home, Anthony’s health continued to deteriorate. On 13 May he collapsed at home with breathing difficulties and was rushed to hospital. He was found to have stomach inflammation and internal bleeding, which required blood transfusions and antibiotics.
Anthony’s condition stabilised but he remained in hospital for some weeks, including on his birthday.
Sharon and Anthony have now instructed specialist international serious injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate and launch legal action against TUI concerning Anthony’s dislocated shoulder and the illnesses suffered by the family.
Expert Opinion“Sharon, Corbin and Anthony were very much looking forward to their holiday as a welcome break. None of them dreamed things could turn out as badly as they did.
“The effects of gastric illness should never be downplayed and can lead to long-term health complications and in some cases prove fatal.
“Understandably, the family have many questions as to how Corbin and Anthony fell ill. We’re now taking action over their concerns in order to provide them with the answers they deserve.
“If any issues are identified during this process, it’s vital lessons are learned to ensure other holidaymakers don’t suffer a similar experience.
“From conversations with Sharon, it appears other hotel guests may have also fallen ill at the same time and we would be keen to hear from anyone else who stayed at the hotels in question as part of our investigations.” Nadhia Akthar - Solicitor
Sharon and Anthony’s holiday took place between 17 April and 2 May this year.
Sharon said food at Jaz Makadi Aquaviva would be brought out semi-cooked and added to a frying pan to be cooked with ingredients people wanted included. Food would be left uncovered. She also said they sometimes saw birds pecking at dough on the pizza station where it would be rolled out and at times cutlery would be unclean.
Sharon, said: “This holiday was meant to be a relaxing break for the family, and I could never have imagined things could turn out the way they did.
“Sadly, it turned into the holiday from hell. Both Corbin and Anthony started to feel really unwell, with stomach cramps and diarrhoea. Even then it was clear Anthony was in a bad way. The doctor came and after some treatment he seemed to stabilise, but he was still visibly very unwell.
“That was the end of the holiday from then on, it was just trying to get well enough to be able to board a flight home. I’m still not quite sure how Anthony managed to fly home because of his symptoms.
“Corbin managed to recover. But Anthony seemed to suffer a relapse and it was terrifying when he collapsed at home. I remember seeing him on the floor struggling to breathe and looking grey. It all now seemed frighteningly serious, and we really feared the worst at one point. We’re just glad that he’s now on the mend.
“You feel so powerless and while nothing can change what we’re going through, the least we deserve are some answers for all of this. I heard others had experienced similar symptoms which is concerning.
“The staff always seemed rushed off their feet and from what I could see corners were cut at both hotels. A pipe was needed to suck out the collected debris from the pool at the end of the day, and I couldn’t smell any chlorine in the water. I also recall an instance when the cleaner scrubbed the toilet and then went to touch the bedding without washing their hands and I had to stop them.
“This has all been such a horrible experience, particularly for Anthony and we just hope there’s no lasting harm done. Right now, we are just glad that he is home safe and well.”