Egypt Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel Inquest: John And Susan Cooper Statement
The family of John and Susan Cooper instructed expert lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to help secure answers at an inquest into the couple’s deaths after staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Egypt.
The family, including the couple’s daughter Kelly Ormerod, have issued the following statements after the inquest concluded.
Kelly said: “After more than five years of waiting, we’ve finally been given some closure around the deaths of mum and dad. However, whatever the outcome today was, nothing would ever make up for the pain and loss we’ve felt since that day.
“We’d all been looking forward to our family holiday and being able to spend quality time together. We were then faced with total heartbreak.
“Our family still struggle to comprehend what we went through that day and feel like it should never have happened. The last few years have been the most traumatic time for all of us.
“While time has moved on, it’s stood still for our family because of the many unanswered questions we’d had.
“There’s now a huge void in our lives and I don’t think our family will ever fully come to terms with losing mum and dad the way we did. They were both fit and healthy, and to not know how they died has been extremely difficult.
“Having to relive everything at the inquest has been harrowing but it was something we had to do for mum and dad. We’d do anything to have them back in our lives but we take some small comfort from at least having the answers we deserve. We now need to try and come to terms with everything. Our family is broken without them.”
Jatinder Paul, the lawyer at Irwin Mitchell supporting Kelly, said: “Losing John and Susan in such sudden and tragic circumstances continues to have a profound effect on the family, including Kelly.
“What’s made their grief all the harder has been having so many unanswered questions regarding their deaths.
“To find out that the couple died from a pesticide that had been sprayed in an adjoining room, leading to carbon monoxide poisoning, is shocking and deeply concerning.
“While we can’t change what they’ve been through, we’re pleased that we’ve at least been able to support the family through the inquest and help provide them with some explanation as to why John and Susan died.
“It’s now vital that lessons are learned to ensure a tragedy like this doesn’t happen to future holidaymakers.”