Children And Lawyers Seeking Information On Construction Company Following Dad-Of-Two’s Mesothelioma Death
A bricklayer’s family are appealing to his former workmates for help in establishing how he was exposed to the asbestos that claimed his life.
Bernard Ayton, of Great Ellingham, Attleborough, died less than two months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma - a terminal cancer of the lining of the lungs associated with exposure to asbestos, often decades previously.
Family asks lawyers to investigate Bernard's asbestos exposure
Following the 78-year-old’s death his children Emma James, 47, and Jason Ayton, 50, instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate whether Bernard’s exposure was linked to his career.
The pair and their legal team are now appealing to Bernard’s former workmates for information on the conditions he faced. They’re particularly keen to hear from anyone who worked with the grandfather-of-three at construction firm WH Lawrence in the 1960s.
Expert Opinion“Bernard’s death is yet another reminder of the terrible legacy asbestos has created, with his symptoms only becoming apparent many years after his exposure is believed to have taken place.
“Emma and the rest of her family remain devastated by Bernard’s death, and, in particular, how quickly he deteriorated following his diagnosis. Understandably they have a number of concerns as to how Bernard was exposed to this hazardous material.
“While nothing can make up for their loss, we’re determined to at least provide Bernard’s family with the answers they deserve. Therefore, we’d be grateful to hear from anyone who remembers working with Bernard or who has information on WH Lawrence.
“Any information could be key in providing Bernard’s loved ones with some form of closure.” Natalia Rushworth-White
Mesothelioma: Bernard Ayton's story
Bernard was married to Julie Ayton, who died in 1992. He began suffering with symptoms including shortness of breath, lack of appetite and pain from August last year. Following tests, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma in early September. He died in October last year.
Following his diagnosis Bernard told his children that he remembered working at various airfields across Norfolk in the East of England helping to construct buildings. He remembered beams would be sprayed for fire protection purposes with a substance which may have contained asbestos.
He also worked in roof spaces close to the beams, helping to demolish buildings during which sheeting, believed to have contained asbestos, was damaged.
Family's tribute to Norfolk man Bernard Ayton as they ask former workmates for help
Emma said: “Dad was such a loving and caring person who adored his family and was never happier than when spending time with his family.
“Before his diagnosis Dad was in relatively good health. However, that all stopped when he started with his symptoms. Despite this it still came as a huge shock when we were told he had mesothelioma.
“We still hadn’t come to terms with his diagnosis when he died. It remains difficult to accept the speed at which he deteriorated and because of this we feel that we didn’t really get chance to say goodbye to him properly.
“We know nothing will ever make up for what Dad went through but we feel we at least need to honour his memory by establishing the answers he wanted.
“We hadn’t even heard of mesothelioma before Dad’s diagnosis but we know only too well how horrible it is. If anyone who remembers Dad from his work could come forward it would mean so much to our family.”
How you can help Bernard's children
Anyone with information about the working conditions Bernard faced is asked to contact Natalia Rushworth-White at Irwin Mitchell on 01223 791810 or email email@example.com
Find out more about our expertise in supporting people and families affected by asbestos exposure at our dedicated asbestos-related disease section. Alternatively to speak to an expert contact us or call 0370 1500 100.