Illness At Kipriotis Village Hotel
Paul King from Shrewsbury has been awarded compensation after developing salmonella food poisoning while on holiday at the Kipriotis Village Hotel on the island of Kos.
Mr King travelled to the hotel with wife Claire and son William in August 2003 through Hays Travel.
In the first week of the holiday William fell ill with diarrhoea and in the second week Mr King also fell ill with severe diarrhoea and abdominal pain.
Mr King continued to suffer symptoms on his return to the UK. He visited his GP who diagnosed salmonella which had led to a painful abscess.
Mr King had hospital treatment to drain the abscess but the abscess reoccurred and further surgery was needed.
Unfortunately Mr King was unable to return to his job as a linesman at an electricity company as he was unable to wear the safety harness. He has had to take up a job as a project manager.
Mr King was awarded compensation after a 3½ day trial at Birmingham County Court. The court found that Mr King had contracted salmonella as a result of improperly cooked eggs served to guests at the hotel.
Clare Pearson, an expert in holiday illness claims at Irwin Mitchell said: “The hotel management and the Tour Operator clearly failed to ensure the health and safety standards at the hotel were maintained, sadly this has resulted in Mr King suffering serious illness which has had a long term impact on his life and career.”