Food poisoning at the Meerufenfushi hotel
A couple from Torquay have been awarded over £10,000 after their honeymoon in the Maldives left them seriously ill from food poisoning and leaving them with long term health issues.
Paul (35) and Donna Mabin (33) contracted food poisoning during April 2003 whilst on their honeymoon at the Meerufenfushi hotel resort, in the Maldives. The newly married couple had booked an all inclusive package holiday for their honeymoon.
Mrs Mabin said "We were not initially overwhelmed with the quality of the hotel, the rooms were very basic and the floors didn't look to us as though they had been swept.
"However the restaurant caused us most concern. Dirty plates and cutlery were just left lying around and you could see the stains of old food on the plates. Food that was meant to be hot was only warm and we often saw staff mixing freshly prepared food with food that had been out for some time. The restaurant was also full of flies and birds who would hop between tables, pecking at the food."
Mr and Mrs Mabin both became ill on the second day of the holiday. They suffered from diarrhoea, vomiting, and abdominal pains. Both Mr and Mrs Mabin were hospitalised for 2 days, and put on drips. Mr Mabin continues to suffer from irritable bowel syndrome.
Along with other guests who suffered from the outbreak of illness, Mr and Mrs Mabin instructed Irwin Mitchell solicitors to seek compensation for their personal injuries, financial losses and their ruined honeymoon.
Mr Mabin was awarded compensation in the region £7600 and Mrs Mabin in the region of £3500. Other guests with more serious illnesses recovered damages up to £15000.
Suki Chhokar, partner with Irwin Mitchell Solicitors who specialises in legal cases involving overseas illness and injury commented "The Mabins were not able to enjoy what should have been a holiday of a lifetime and instead they will remember their honeymoon for entirely the wrong reasons."
Compensation received for Meerufenfushi hotel food poisoning
Over 120 people have received compensation following an outbreak of disease, including salmonella and campylobacter, whilst on holiday in the Maldives.
Holidaymakers suffered from gastric symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal cramps. The outbreak has been linked to a breakdown in hygiene practices and standards at the Meerufenfushi Resort in the Maldives.
Guests at the Hotel complained of flies on the food which was undercooked, filthy conditions throughout the Hotel leading to generally poor hygiene conditions during the outbreak in 2003.
Many of the guests required urgent medical treatment, including drips to prevent de-hydration with one guest suffering a heart attack, from which he survived, through ill health contracted at the hotel.
Mr Chhokar concluded "These unacceptable standards of hygiene at the Hotel showed a lack of consideration and safety for holidaymakers, many of whom were on their honeymoon."
If you or a loved one has suffered food poisoning due to poor hygiene standards, our personal injury solicitors could help you claim compensation. Visit our Food Poisoning Compensation Claims page for more information.