Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) plays a key role in job creation and economic productivity. Find out why the UK’s economy is growing and how foreign investment is shaping our future.
Report – An Overview Of The UK Economy
In our latest report we’re examining recent trends in Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) into the UK.
Some of our key findings include:
- The growth rate of the UK economy increased to 1.3% in the final months of 2021, leaving our GDP almost as high as pre-pandemic levels
- In the service sector, output in the last few months of 2021 was 0.9% above levels seen before the pandemic
- The unemployment rate dipped below pre-pandemic levels, standing at 3.8% in the three months to February 2022
- The number of payrolled employees has reached record highs, standing at 29.7 million in February 2022.
Excitingly, it’s clear that the UK is emerging from the pandemic and we’re still an attractive prospect for overseas investment. By the end of next year, we’re expecting the growth path for the UK economy to normalise.
Of course, our economy will still face some turbulence, but we’re optimistic given what we’re seeing so far.
Read our latest UK Powerhouse report to find out more.
Looking At The Growth Of UK Cities
Our report shows the UK’s regional and city economies also saw a strong economic recovery with the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions in 2021. But this has varied across cities, both in terms of output and employment.
We’re seeing incredible growth in UK cities in our 2022 report, including:
- Milton Keynes boasting the highest gross value added (GVA) growth, increasing by 8.5% this year
- Southampton’s growth was a close second place, with an increase of 8.4% this year
- The employment rate in Oxford had the fastest increase, showing at 5.7% this year
- The annual employment rate in Solihull increased by 5.3%
- Central Manchester’s GVA picked up by 6.9% year-on-year, while the employment rate grew by 4.4%
These are only some of the cities showing exciting levels of growth in our report. Have a look at our report to find out more about why we’re seeing this growth and where cities could improve their economy.
How Foreign Direct Investment Is Shaping The UK Economy
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is when an investor establishes a lasting interest making investments in a country that is not their own. We’ve identified FDI as a key factor in promoting the UK economy because it has the potential to raise productivity and enable the transfer of technology.
Our report thoroughly examines the relationship between FDI and the growth of the UK economy. This highlights key factors to help create a forecast of what’s to come, including:
- The top 10 countries investing in the UK
- A breakdown of FDI in the UK, by industry
- A breakdown of FDI in the UK, by sector
- The number of FDI projects and their number of jobs created in the UK, by sector
- The number of FDI projects in the UK, by region, and their level of annual change.
Read our UK Powerhouse report to find out more about how foreign direct investment has shaped the landscape of the UK economy and what levels of growth we can expect.