0800 022 3503
Child Abuse Compensation Claims

Claims Against Social Services

If you or a loved one has been a victim of abuse due to negligence by social services, our lawyers could help you make a compensation claim.

You may be able to claim against social services if the local authority failed to manage your family appropriately, leaving you in a situation where you suffered abuse or neglect that could have been avoided. We've acted for hundreds of children and adults who suffered due to the failings of social workers, in cases where abuse has been committed by:

  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Foster carers
  • Visitors to a family home
  • Relatives
  • People in positions of authority

Abuse cases can be complex and emotionally taxing. Our dedicated team of abuse solicitors has extensive experience making claims against social services and a high success rate in securing justice and compensation settlements for victims of abuse (both children and adults), while handling all cases in a caring and sensitive manner.

You can be reassured that your feelings, wishes and wellbeing will be of utmost importance to us throughout your case. If you'd like to discuss claiming against social services because of abuse or neglect, or just want to find out more information about the process, please contact us online or call 0800 022 3503 to arrange a free initial consultation.

Legal aid available in some cases
Offices across the UK
Accredited with the Association of Child Abuse Lawyers
Experienced child abuse solicitors

Call our experts FREE on:

0800 022 3503

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Claims Against Social Services - More Information
    • Do You Handle Legal Aid Cases?
    • Yes, legal aid may be available for some types of abuse cases.

      Legal aid is means-tested. We can help you with the application process for this and, if you do not qualify, we will explore other types of funding such as No Win No Fee* agreements.

      If you’d like to discuss whether you can make an abuse claim using legal aid, then please call one of our specialist team on 0800 022 3503.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee* Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk* to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your case, we'll discuss funding options with you, advising you which we think is most suitable. You may be eligible for legal aid, or be covered by legal expenses insurance (LEI) or a trade union policy. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household or car insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you're best supported by a No Win No Fee* agreement, we'll explain the process clearly. You'll only have to pay anything if your claim is successful – your opponent will pay most of our fees, with the remaining costs coming out of your compensation settlement.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • You generally have to make a compensation claim within three years of the date of abuse taking place.

      If you were a child at the time, then you have until the date of your 21st birthday to make a claim.

      However, there's often a case for making a claim after these dates – we have helped clients to claim for abuse that happened decades ago. Whether or not you'll be able to make a non-recent abuse claim is judged on a case-by-case basis by the courts, so it's best to get in touch with us for some advice. Call today on 0800 022 3503 for a free consultation on your case, and we'll be happy to help.

    • What's The Claims Process?
    • To make a compensation claim, the first thing you need to do is get in touch with us for a free consultation. We'll discuss the circumstances of your abuse, advise you on whether or not we think you can claim, and work out whether you could benefit from legal aid or a No Win No Fee* arrangement.

      If you decide to make a claim with us, we'll usually follow the same four stages:

      1. Investigation. We'll take a full history from you, taking time to understand what happened and when. We’ll note any injuries or psychological trauma you've experienced as a result and  we may refer you for a medical or psychological examination to investigate the full impact of your abuser's actions. We may also look into records kept by the police, courts, schools, Local Authorities, or medical institutions. We'll also need to work out who the claim will be made against. It could be an individual, or an organisation either responsible for that person's actions, or for your safety. If it's an individual, our investigators will have to look into their financial assets to find out if they'll be able to pay any settlement we agree.
      2. Rehabilitation. Abuse, whether physical, sexual or emotional, can have long-lasting impacts on both physical and mental health, and we'll help you to access any medical or psychological care and support you need, both now and in the future.
      3. Compensation. We'll work out how much compensation you should get based on the severity of your injuries or trauma, your pain and suffering, any medical expenses you've had to pay, and whether your abuser has impacted your ability to find work.
      4. Conclusion. If your opponent accepted blame, you'll be awarded compensation. If not, the case will be settled in court – although this is rare. If you do have to go to court, we'll be there support you every step of the way. If we agreed to handle your claim under a No Win No Fee* arrangement, then you won't have to pay anything if you were unsuccessful.

      If you have any questions about the claims process, please contact us today on 0800 022 3503 for your free initial consultation.

    • Will I Have To Go To Court?
    • It's possible that you might have to appear in court as part of your claim. But in our experience, the vast majority of claims are settled out of court, following a negotiation between us and your opponent.

      If you do have to appear in court, we'll be there to represent and support you at every step of the way.

I just felt that they were very competent and that I could trust them, which is very important in a case like this. It’s hard to explain – I have nothing but praise about how we were treated.”

Peter, London

Frequently Asked Questions

When Would You Make A Claim Against Social Services?

You may be able to claim against social services if you were under the organisation's care when the abuse happened, or if neglect on the part of a social worker put you in a situation where you were abused. The abuser doesn't have to be someone employed by social services - it could have been a parent, siblings, a family member, a foster carer or a visitor to your family home that social services failed to protect you from.

Cases of abuse involving social services negligence can take place in a variety of settings:

If it can be shown that social services did not provide you with adequate care, or failed to take reasonable steps that could have prevented the abuse from taking place, you may be able to make a claim.

Any claim will normally be made against the local authority responsible for the department or service that should have prevented the abuse. If you have any questions about making a claim, please contact us online or call 0800 022 3503 for more information.

Read More... Read Less...

How Should Social Services Have Protected Me From Abuse?

There are a number of warning signs that social services should pick up on in order to reduce the risk of abuse or neglect. In many of the abuse claims we've investigated, we've been able to establish that social workers failed to:

  • Respond to referrals from schools, medical professionals, midwives, health visitors, family members or anonymous sources
  • Identify the signs of abuse and neglect in children from their behaviour and appearance
  • Investigate appropriately the history of a family to determine whether they are involved with dangerous individuals
  • Deal appropriately with disclosures made by young children
  • Adequately supervise children under their care

We can help to determine whether the Local Authority failed in its duty to provide care to children who were at risk of abuse. Contact us online or call 0800 022 3503 for a free initial consultation about your case.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell For A Claim Against Social Services?

Whether you're a survivor of abuse yourself, or the parent or guardian of a child who has been abused, our specialist team of child abuse solicitors can help. We have years of experience in helping people to claim compensation settlements that can fund the therapy and counselling you need to help you move on with your life.

We work in total confidentiality with our clients, and our lawyers are highly trained in working with abuse survivors. We understand how difficult and painful it can be to bring up the details of past abuse, and at every step of the way we aim to make sure you're comfortable discussing your case with us.

Some of the social services abuse cases we've worked on include:

  • A £20,000 settlement for a woman who was sexually abused by clients of her mother, a prostitute, after she had been returned to her mother's care despite social services being aware of the risks – find out more about this case.
  • A compensation package for a Camden woman who suffered years of sexual, physical and emotional abuse from her own mother. Social services failed to protect her or monitor her wellbeing, even after numerous concerns were raised by neighbours – find out more about this case.

If you want to find out more about making a child abuse claim, or just to talk with an expert in a free initial consultation on your case, get in touch with us online or call on 0800 022 3503. There's no obligation to continue with us after this first conversation – we're happy to just discuss your case and offer some advice on the best way to proceed.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Accreditation

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK

Leading Firm - Legal 500 2017 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Working With Survivors

When you make a claim with us, we put your wellbeing at the heart of everything we do. Providing you with the care and support you need to deal with the traumatic experience of abuse or an assault is as important to us as ensuring you receive financial compensation.

Our client liaison managers can work with you from the beginning of your case if needed, helping us understand what support you need, and how best to help you access it. We also work with a number of organisations that offer extensive support to survivors of violent crime and abuse, including:

Our approach to our clients' rehabilitation is extremely well respected in the industry, and has seen us win Post Magazine’s Rehabilitation Award for Claimant Solicitors on seven occasions.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.