Tom specialises in all areas of corporate recovery and insolvency. He advises insolvency practitioners, banks, companies, individuals and creditors on a variety of insolvency-related matters, at a local, national and cross border level.
He has particular experience in contentious insolvency, acting for insolvency practitioners in claims against third parties brought under the Insolvency Act 1986.
Tom regularly provides internal training to various teams at the firm and also presents seminars on behalf of R3 in the Yorkshire area.
"He is an exceptional lawyer. He has an ability to bring everything together, considering the legal merits, but always with an eye on the commercial outcome... He is highly commercial, and if we have a problem, we use him as a sounding board. He's also creative in coming up with ideas." - Chambers & Partners, 2022
Tom Paton "provides a clear and capable key point of contact. His team are cost effective and knowledgeable. "‘Tom Paton has grown into the role of partner leading a very capable and engaged team. Tom is approachable, knowledgeable and (despite his advancement) excellent value for money." - Legal 500, 2021
"Tom Paton always impresses and never ceases to amaze and delight with his ability to see his way through a complex problem. [He] continues to grow following his deserved promotion to partner. He is already well versed in his craft and will soon be a leader in the field." – Legal 500, 2020
- Acting for the purchaser on a high profile pre-pack Administration of a large national concrete producer
- Acting for KPMG as Administrators on a high profile pre-pack Administration of a local manufacturer
- Acting for various national Insolvency Practitioner firms on large portfolios of bankruptcies, including high value/complex assignments
- Dealing with cross-border insolvency assignments for Insolvency Practitioners, with particular experience in the Irish, French and Italian jurisdictions
- Acting for an offshore distressed debt purchaser on a portfolio of various UK enforcement matters, with high value recoveries made both before and during liquidation/bankruptcy