Richard is a Senior Associate in the Commercial Litigation and Construction team in Leeds. He joined Irwin Mitchell in 2002 having previously been at another large national law firm for 22 years.
His areas of expertise include all types of contractual disputes, including; construction and engineering disputes, professional negligence claims, commercial injunctions, breach of warranty claims, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of confidential information and database rights and cross border disputes.
Richard also regularly appears before the Courts and has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution. He has a very loyal and diverse client base.
- Pursuing injunctions in England and Hong Kong in respect of wrongful retention of goods.
- Successfully pursuing a claim on behalf of a public school against an architect for professional negligence.
- Obtaining a favourable settlement in a multi-million pound claim arising out of contamination of leased premises by Chromium VI.
- Achieving a favourable settlement for a supplier of allegedly defective parts for use in military aircraft.
- Acting on a multi-million pound pension dispute.
"He punches well above his weight. He has lots of experience and is a tough but sensible litigator" - Chambers & Partners 2017
"Richard Payne of Irwin Mitchell receives considerable praise for his litigation expertise. Clients explain that he is 'excellent at negotiating on our behalf,' and 'always on hand for the best advice and considered course of action'." - Chambers & Partners 2016
"Very thorough, very practical and persuasive." - Chambers & Partners 2014