Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Industrial Disease Claims

Ulnar Neuropathy & Cubital Tunnel Claims

Ulnar neuropathy, otherwise known as cubital tunnel syndrome (CTS), is a painful, long-lasting condition caused by a repetitive strain injury. If you've developed damage to your ulnar nerve because of work, our solicitors could help you claim compensation.

Damage to the ulnar nerve actually causes numbness and pain in your ring finger and little finger, causing a weakness and clumsiness in the hand. It's caused by repeated pressure or strain on the elbow and forearm, such as:

  • Using gardening shears
  • Reaching and pulling levers with force
  • Painting with a brush or roller
  • Performing throwing actions
  • Keeping your arms in continuous motion
  • Heaving and throwing heavy items

This kind of injury is common in intensive manual roles, such as construction or work on production lines. Our lawyers have helped clients from a number of industries claim compensation for ulnar nerve damage.

We have a proven track record in cubital tunnel syndrome claims, as well as claims for similar conditions such as tendonitis, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome or vibration white finger, and we were the lead firm in the British Coal vibration white finger cases. We aim to make the claims process as simple as possible for you, offering expert advice in plain English and supporting you every step of the way.

Most of the claims we handle are on a No Win No Fee basis. This means that there's nothing for you to pay upfront, and that you won’t have to pay any legal fees if your claim isn’t successful*.

Call us today on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online to arrange a free initial consultation about making a claim.

No Win No Fee*
Accredited personal injury experts
Experienced workplace illness solicitors
Offices across the UK

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

  • Mark Allen
  • Associate Director
Meet the team
Ulnar Neuropathy Claims - More Info
    • How Much Compensation Can I Expect?
    • How much compensation you receive after a work-related illness will depend on a few factors related to your illness, its circumstances, and the support and rehabilitation you need.

      The amount of compensation you could claim is based on:

      • Current and future loss of earnings
      • Medical and travel expenses you've had to pay
      • Your care and support needs – both now and in the future
      • Modifications to your home
      • Mobility aids
      • Your pain and suffering

      For more information, call us on 0800 056 4110 and we'll be happy to discuss your options in a free initial consultation.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee* Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk* to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your case, we'll discuss funding options with you, advising you which we think is most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI) or are covered by a trade union policy, these may be best for you. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household or car insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you're best supported by a No Win No Fee* agreement, we'll explain the process clearly. You'll only have to pay anything if your claim is successful – your opponent will pay most of our fees, with the remaining costs coming out of your compensation settlement.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • Usually you need to make a compensation claim within three years of becoming aware that your illness might be linked to your work.

      In fatal cases, the family of the deceased has three years to make a claim, starting from either the date your loved one died, or the date you received the post-mortem results.

      If your illness occurred while working outside of the UK, then the time limit can be shorter. In this instance, it's vital that you contact us as soon as possible.

      If you have any concerns or questions about the time limit for claiming compensation, call our team today on 0800 056 4110 for free initial advice and to talk through your options.

    • Can I Get Early Compensation Payments?
    • Early compensation payments, also known as interim payments, are made in advance of any final settlement. They’re only made in an agreement with your opponent, if they admit that they're responsible for your illness.

      Interim payments can be used to replace lost earnings, so you can afford to pay essential bills if your illness has meant you’ve been absent from work, as well as covering the cost of specialist medical care or mobility equipment.

      We'll work hard to get an early admission of fault, and also to obtain early compensation payments to relieve any immediate financial pressures you’re feeling.

    • Will I Lose My Job If I Claim Against My Employers?
    • If you wish to make a claim against your current employer, then any compensation would be paid by their insurer. It has been compulsory to have insurance for many years, so it’s highly likely that they will have this in place. There are also legal safeguards in place to protect you from unfair dismissal.

      This basically means that your employer must be able to justify their reason for dismissing you in relation to your claim, which is highly unlikely. If you want to discuss this subject in more detail, our workplace illness solicitors will be able to talk you through your rights and what you can expect.

If I did not understand anything, I would just ask him to explain things and he would explain it all to me.”

Peter, client

Frequently Asked Questions

How Should My Employer Have Protected Me From Ulnar Neuropathy Risks?

Employers have a duty of care to their employees, and must protect them from occupational health risks in the workplace under the Health and Safety at Work Act. Ulnar nerve damage and cubital tunnel syndrome (CTS) is avoidable if best practice is followed, and employers should:

  • Provide information and instruction on the risks of repetitive actions that could cause damage
  • Inform you of any exposure limits for particular actions
  • Provide you with protective equipment, such as gloves, or wrist or elbow supports, if required or requested
  • Provide mechanical aids where possible
  • Give you the opportunity to take breaks from work involving repetitive motions

Being able to take breaks is perhaps the most important factor – whether it's a leisure break, or simply being rotated onto a different task. If your work involves using a computer, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recommends a break of five to ten minutes away from your display screen equipment every hour.

If you feel that your employer has not done enough to inform you of the risks of CTS, and reduce the chances of the condition occurring – particularly if you have asked for support and had your request refused – then their negligence could have put you at risk. If you’re unsure, then contact us today on 0800 056 4110 for a free consultation on your case, and we’ll be able to advise you.

Read More... Read Less...

What's The Claims Process For An Ulnar Neuropathy Claim?

Starting a claim for ulnar neuropathy compensation is simple – all you need to do is contact us. We'll discuss your injury and symptoms, the kind of work you've done that you think has contributed to damage in your ulnar nerve.

There's no obligation to continue at this stage – you're welcome to just ask us for advice. If you do choose to make a claim with us, it will usually progress through these four stages:

Stage One: Information Gathering

You'll have a medical examination with an expert in musculoskeletal disorders to assess your symptoms, their extent, their cause, and to establish that you're definitely suffering from cubital tunnel syndrome (CTS).

The main symptoms are pain and numbness in your ring finger and little finger, as well as a general weakness and numbness in the hand that can make it hard to grip things securely.

Stage Two: Rehabilitation

If you have any care or support needs as a result of your cubital tunnel syndrome, we'll identify exactly what these are and help you access them conveniently, from a provider close to your home.

Serious cases of cubital tunnel may be irreversible, but recovery from more minor cases is possible with rest. Medications, physiotherapy and surgery are also used to treat CTS, and we can help you access this.

Stage Three: Compensation

We'll calculate how much compensation you'll get based on a few factors, including:

  • The severity of your condition
  • Medical expenses you’ve had to pay, or will have in the future
  • Your occupation, and the impact your condition will have on your ability to work
  • Your pain and suffering

We'll then put the case to your employer (or former employer). They may accept blame early on, or could challenge the findings, which would result in the claim being settled in court. Most claims settle out of court – but if you do have to go to court we will be there to support you.

Stage Four: Conclusion

When your case concludes, you'll be awarded compensation if you're successful. Our fees will mostly be paid by your opponent, with a portion of your compensation settlement covering the rest.

If we agreed to handle your claim under a No Win No Fee* arrangement, then you won't have to pay anything if you were unsuccessful.

If you have any questions about the claims process for ulnar neuropathy, please contact us today on 0800 056 4110.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell For An Ulnar Neuropathy Claim?

Claiming compensation from an employer can seem daunting, so it can help to have the experts on your side. We believe no one who has been injured at work should be put off from claiming the compensation that they're entitled to – even if it’s against a former employer who has since gone out of business.

Our solicitors specialise in helping people claim compensation for accidents, injuries and illnesses that have happened at work. If your former employer isn’t trading anymore, we may be able to trace their insurer, who will be responsible for your compensation payments. We also act on behalf of a number of trade unions, but we can still help you make a claim if you're not a member of one.

We have a proven track record in claims for work-related musculoskeletal disorders and repetitive strain injuries such as tendonitis or tennis elbow, and were the lead firm in the British Coal Vibration White Finger cases, which included compensation for carpal tunnel syndrome.

We aim to make the claims process as simple and straightforward as we can, handling every aspect of your case and offering you expert advice on any decisions you have to make in plain English, while you focus on recovering as much as possible.

We want to make sure that you receive the best compensation possible, and receive the medical care that you need. To find out more about how to claim for ulnar neuropathy compensation, and how we can help, call us today on 0800 056 4110 for a free initial consultation about your claim.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Recognition

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK


Leading Firm - Legal 500 2017 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 UK Chambers & Partners Leading Firm 2018

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Making a difference – specialist care and support services.

Rehabilitation means different things to different people. For some it’s being able to return to work, while for others it’s being able to become more independent around the house. Our personal injury solicitors are here for you whatever your situation is, and you can be reassured that we’ll help you access the care and support you need to make the best recovery possible.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2018 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.