Lawyers Call For Investigation After Illness Outbreak Linked to Bournemouth School

PHE Alerted To Illness Affected A Number Of Pupils At New Milton Junior School


Andrew Robinson, Press Officer | 0113 218 6463

Expert public health lawyers representing thousands of victims of illness outbreaks in the UK and abroad have called for a swift and thorough investigation after a number of pupils at the New Milton Junior School were reported to be suffering with norovirus.

A number of pupils were reported to have missed school on Friday (25 September) as a result of illnesses that they suffered which were suspected to be norovirus.

Affected pupils were asked to remain at home for 48 hours after the last symptoms of the illness were seen, to prevent the illness spreading further.

Public Health England was alerted to the suspected norovirus outbreak and a PHE spokeswoman said that a deep clean of the school had been advised.

Specialist illness lawyers at Irwin Mitchell, who currently represent more than 300 victims of a recent norovirus outbreak allegedly linked to the Exeter Arms in Middlemoor, Exeter are now calling on a thorough investigation into the cause of the outbreak.

Amandeep Dhillon, a Partner and expert public health lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said:

Expert Opinion
It is welcomed that the school quickly took steps to inform the PHE of the suspected norovirus outbreak and that a deep clean will take place.

“Due to the number of young people falling ill, it is clear that many people will be seeking answers about the cause of the virus and it is vital a thorough investigation is conducted to help parents of those affected understand what caused their children’s illnesses.

"We have seen the serious and long-term impact gastric illness of this nature can have, particularly on young people, which makes it vital that everything possible is done to understand how these illness problems emerged and if more could have been done to prevent them.
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner