What We Do
Our business insolvency solicitors act for Insolvency Practitioners, lenders, companies and their directors. The team has extensive experience in:
- Administrative Receiverships
- Company Voluntary Arrangements
- Company liquidation advice
- Law of Property Act Receiverships
- Advising creditors in dealing with all aspects of insolvency
- Individual Voluntary Arrangements
- Bankruptcy cases
Our insolvency lawyers have a focus on bank-led work and sits on a number of bank panels including HSBC, Santander, RBS/NatWest, Bank of Ireland and the Co-operative Bank. The department also works closely with a number of accountants including Baker Tilly, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Grant Thornton, KPMG, Deloitte and RSM Tenon.
The team has an ability to provide practical commercial advice in complex areas of pension and re-structuring due to extensive expertise in this area.
Irwin Mitchell's company insolvency solicitors have a national presence, covering Leeds, Sheffield, London, Birmingham and Manchester.
From 26 May, the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015 will come into force effecting insolvency matters in the UK - click here for more information.
Recent Business Insolvency Deals
- Dealing with the administration of One Leisure Group - a chain of bars and hotels in Newcastle and Barrow-in-Furness. This involved a complex application to Court for which there appeared to be no precedent to make an Order enabling the administration to be terminated but ensuring that creditors' claims and expenses were properly met
- Advised on the administration of a pre-prepared foods supplier to a number of national supermarkets. The business was successfully traded on in administration and then sold
- Acted in the sale of Godfreys Automotive Parts out of administration. This involved dealing with seven sites across Yorkshire and completing the sale to an independent party within 48 hours
- Successful appeal of the refusal by the nominee of a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) to allow Wolseley UK Limited to vote to reject a CVA proposal at the Creditor's meeting. This was a decision of precedent setting nature
- Dealing with the appointment of Administrators of a Scottish Company involved in the manufacture of log cabins. This was a complex case due to the requirement to understand how Scottish Insolvency rules interact with English Insolvency rules
"The team is commercial and willing to go the extra mile" - Chambers & Partners, 2014
"Stephen George is thorough and commercial, comes up with innovative solutions and is praised by clients for his considered bedside manner" - Chambers & Partners, 2014
"Irwin Mitchell has a strong insolvency offering, particularly when taken in conjunction with its litigation and property practices" - Legal 500, 2013
Stephen George is praised for being "tenacious, with a real willingness to take responsibility in resolving complex cases" - Chambers & Partners, 2013
Andrew Walker provides clients with an experienced sounding board and is valued for "presenting an argument that takes into account both sides" - Chambers and Partners, 2012
"The service is excellent" and the team has "a commercial, client-focused approach" - Legal 500, 2011
Andrew Walker is "very precise, erudite and easy to work with" - Legal 500, 2011
"First-class player" - Legal 500, 2010