The ever-changing pensions environment brings with it a number of challenges for trustees and employers – we recognise this, and are well-placed to help with all aspects of pensions issues.
Our focused and practical pensions advice builds on our team’s experience and knowledge, together with the support of legal experts in other practice areas who can assist you.
What We Do
The expertise of our team members covers a range of pensions-related issues, advising throughout the life cycle of pension schemes and on specific pension projects. This includes:
- the impact of and compliance with new legislative and statutory requirements, such as new flexible retirement options and auto enrolment
- pension scheme restructuring – we advise on mergers, changes to benefit structures, creation of new benefit structures and sections, closures to future accrual
- business restructuring – we advise on pension schemes in cases of mergers, acquisitions, demergers and bulk transfers
- interpreting, drafting and updating pension scheme documentation (including the incorporation of new legislative requirements), both in respect of formal scheme documents and member communications
- scheme funding advisory requirements
- participation in risk management projects
- pension disputes and litigation
We come from a variety of legal backgrounds and have a strong track record in advising employers and trustees with schemes or varying structures, including:
- multi and single sections
- multi and single employers
- defined benefit, defined contribution and hybrid structures
- private and public sector pension benefits
- self-invested personal pensions and small pension schemes
The sponsoring employers for these schemes vary significantly, from national organisations and overseas parent companies to smaller SMEs and public sector related employers.
We also have good working relationships with a number of different pension advisory firms (actuarial, administrative and consultancy), allowing us to offer an even greater level of service to our clients. We work with the likes of the Pensions Ombudsman, Pensions Regulator, Pension Protection Fund and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) on a regular basis.
Why Choose Irwin Mitchell
We pride ourselves on being able to keep pensions simple, always making sure that our advice fits with your ethos, project plans and timetables.
Our team provides practical, commercial advice that focuses on solutions rather than just listing problems and getting lost in the technicalities. We also understand how important it is to take a ‘no surprises’ approach to costs and budgeting.
The size of our firm means that we can draw on the experience of commercial solicitors who are experts in a range of areas, from corporate and tax through to employment. We have a nationwide network of offices which allows us to help you wherever you are.
Chambers Legal Directory describes Martin Jenkins as “skilled in the practical way of doing things” and “adopting an unfussy approach”.
The Legal 500 guide praises Kate Byers for her “depth of industry knowledge”.