When a public body makes a decision, it has to comply with the law. If it fails to follow the appropriate procedures, or doesn’t comply with its legal duties, this can be challenged through the courts with a judicial review.
A judicial review can be used to challenge the decisions of a range of public bodies, from government departments to the NHS and local councils.
Can I Challenge A Decision Made By A Public Body?
If you're looking to challenge the decision of a public body, please take a look at our guide to judicial review for some useful advice regarding the process and what you can expect.
Our solicitors regularly act for individuals, companies, charities and community interest groups in applications for judicial reviews as they seek to challenge and overturn a decision where the public authority has failed to comply with its legal obligations.
We regularly act in judicial review cases in the following areas:
- An appeal needs to be made after an exclusion from school
- Environmental and planning law
- Civil liberties
- Health and social care
- Commercial and procurement
- Regulatory and professional discipline
Funding And Time Limits
Many of our clients qualify for legal aid, or Legal Expenses Insurance, so pay nothing for our advice. There are even cases where we can act on a “No win, no fee” basis.
We will advise you on how to fund your claim, so if you’re worried about the cost, please contact us to discuss all your options.
There are also strict time limits in place for bringing a claim for judicial review. Any claim must be brought promptly and within three months of the decision being challenged, so it’s important to act quickly and to seek legal advice as soon as a decision has been made by a public body.
Why Choose Our Judicial Review Solicitors?
- Access to our expert Public Law & Human Rights team – we have a large team of expert judicial review lawyers working across the country, so wherever you are in the UK, we’ll have experienced experts on hand to help.
- Leaders in the field – our experts are also recognised in the legal directories as leading lawyers in judicial review cases and have been at the forefront of challenging cuts to public services, including high profile and complex cases that have been taken to the Supreme Court.
- We change the law – many of the cases we have been involved with have pushed the boundaries of our legal system and have since resulted in better protection for those facing cuts to their public services.
In this video, Partner and Public Law expert Yogi Amin explains the work that our team does.
Contact Us for Expert Advice
If you believe that a decision by a public body needs to be challenged and overturned, we can apply for a judicial review against the decision for you. Please contact Yogi Amin, Alex Rook or call us free on 0800 028 1943 to speak to the team. Alternatively, you can contact us online and we will get back to you.
"Irwin Mitchell has 'an outstanding team of highly skilled and accomplished public lawyers', which represents a range of parties in public law challenges."
Legal 500 2014
"Their client service is excellent and no matter how tricky a legal problem, there is always someone who can help."
Chambers & Partners 2015 (quote from client)