What We Do
Our mergers and acquisitions lawyers have years of experience of providing advice on a variety of M&A transactions in the UK and overseas.
We advise corporate clients, financial institutions, management teams, private equity firms and business owners on a variety of transactions from the relatively straightforward to the very complex. Our expertise includes:
- Cross border transactions
- Acquisitions and disposals of private and public companies
- Acquisitions and disposals of businesses and assets
- MBOs and MBIs
- Joint ventures and other forms of collaboration arrangements
How Our Mergers And Acquisitions Lawyers Can Help
Our corporate team has years of experience helping private and listed companies and a variety of other parties with their M&A needs.
M&A transactions can have a range of technical considerations that need to be addressed such as tax, competition, pensions, environmental or regulatory. As a full service law firm, we have specialists across all these areas. Our corporate team ensure that their advice is properly coordinated and focused upon achieving our clients’ commercial goals.
We pride ourselves on being responsive and delivering concise, practical advice which is focused on problem solving and getting the job done (assuming that is in our client’s interest).
We are well known in the M&A community which means that we can ensure that where appropriate we introduce our clients to the very best professional advisors in related areas such as corporate finance.
Recent M&A Deals Include:
We help clients across a wide range of industry sectors. Some recent examples include:
- Advised Ellandi, the UK's leading community shopping centre investor, on its joint venture with The Bridges Property Alternatives Fund III, managed by specialist sustainable and impact investor Bridges Ventures.
- Advised global real estate advisory firm JLL on its acquisition of office design and fit-out company Bluu Group. Irwin Mitchell has advised JLL on ten acquisitions to date, including the merger with WA Ellis in October 2014.
- Advised SIG plc on its acquisition of the Ainsworth Group, a leading supplier of insulation distribution building products. SIG plc is one of Europe's leading suppliers of specialist building products, which generated total revenues of £2.6bn from its 650 branches.
- Advising management in respect of its participation in Baytree Logistics Properties, a new industrial and logistics investment platform established in partnership with AXA Real Estate Investment Managers. Baytree will develop build-to-suit and speculative logistics buildings in prime locations throughout Europe and already has €100m (£70m) earmarked for its project pipeline.
- Advising Redditch-based pharmaceutical distributor and retailer Lexon (UK) on the acquisition of Norchem Limited. Lexon’s turnover is £150m and the company employs 400+ people. Norchem operates a wholesale/distribution operation and multiple pharmacies throughout the North East, with a combined turnover of circa £40m. The deal was backed by Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and RBS Invoice Finance.
- Advising Reconomy on the company's acquisition of Countrywide Waste Management. Reconomy is a £65m turnover business and backed by private equity firm Bregal Capital. Countrywide Waste Management provides waste management services including collection of food waste.
- Advised SIG plc on its acquisition of HC Groep B.V. HC Groep is a specialist Air Handling systems provider based in the Netherlands and the UK, with turnover of €45m.
- Advising Elston Holdings, a Joint Venture (JV) between AREO and Chenavari, on the acquisition of Market Gate Shopping Centre, Lancaster.
- Advising SCIO Holdings on its acquisition of Data Intelligence, a company providing market leading business intelligence services to pharmaceutical sales and marketing functions. SCIO Holdings is a US-backed private equity business specialising in the technology sector.
- Advised on the sale of Focus NDT to US based MISTRAS Group (NYSE: MG) for an undisclosed sum.
- Advising historic Sheffield manufacturer, HD Sports, manufacturers of the figure skate blades used by every single medallist at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, on its acquisition by a US-based private investment group specialising in manufacturing, retail and distribution.
- Advising Samuel Hodge Group on its acquisition of Mac’Ants Abrasives. Samuel Hodge Group is a privately owned engineering group with operations in the UK and Poland.
- Advised on the £21.5m acquisition of ASK4, a student broadband provider, by Darwin Private Equity.
- Advised MAM Software Group Inc, listed on NASDAQ, on its acquisition of Origin Software Solutions Limited, a provider of e-commerce solutions for the automotive after-market.
“On behalf of the entire crew I would like to thank you very much for your outstanding and professional support in this transaction. I personally appreciated your drive, your engagement and your negotiation skills in very difficult and sometimes delicate situations. It has been a great pleasure for me working with you together – and you can be sure, that I will remember Irwin Mitchell whenever we will need legal assistance in the UK in the future.”
Head of Group Services, Global Manufacturer and Distributor
"The team is knowledgeable, accommodating and flexible."
Chambers & Partners, 2016
"Knowledgeable, detail-oriented and always extremely responsive."
Legal 500, 2015
"‘Experts in their field’ who ‘provide timely advice comprehensively and accurately’"
"‘The level of service is excellent, they are responsive and always meet deadlines, providing a good personalised service’"