Leeds Brewery Company Completes Acquisition Of Famed Plunkets Restaurant In York

Deal Will See Brewing Company Open Second Site In City

15.10.2015

David Shirt, Press Officer | 0161 838 3094

A former and well-known bistro in York has been acquired by The Leeds Brewery Company in a deal which will see the fast growing business open its second venue in York and it seventh pub within the region.

Established as a restaurant in 1977, Plunkets has been a popular destination within York city centre and was famed for attracting celebrities, including the Rolling Stones who scribbled their signatures on the wall on the top floor.

The building dates back to around 1640 when it was built for the local doctor as his principal residence. Records have found that there is evidence of the Terry family, famous local chocolatiers, owning the property in order to make and sell their confectionery.

In the latest development for the historic site on High Petergate, The Leeds Brewery Company has acquired the business and lease of the site, and have also obtained planning consent to carry out alterations on the building.

Barry Crux & Company completed the sale with David Cowgill, Associate in the Real Estate team in the Leeds office of law firm Irwin Mitchell, advising The Leeds Brewery Company.

Earlier this year, Leeds Brewery announced the creation of 15 jobs after launching a new pub, the Lamb & Flag, on Church Row in a Grade II listed building next to Leeds Minster.

Other pubs in the group are The Midnight Bell, The White Swan, The Midnight Bell,  The Brewery Tap and the Duke of York.