Devastated Widow Appealing For Help After Husband’s Mesothelioma Death

Expert Asbestos-Related Disease Lawyers Investigating Asbestos Exposure


Andrew Robinson, Press Officer | 0113 218 6463

The devastated widow of a former joiner is appealing to her late husband’s ex-workmates in the East Midlands to help her understand how and where he was exposed to asbestos that caused him to develop mesothelioma.

Colin Jackson, died at the age of 75 in March 2014 after an 18-month battle with mesothelioma – a terminal cancer caused by exposure to harmful asbestos dust decades ago.

He began to suffer shortness of breath and difficulties doing physical activity in late 2012 and was diagnosed with the disease in December of that year.

Now, his widow Ann, 75, from Pengelly Cross in Cornwall has instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how and where Colin came into contact with the deadly asbestos dust and fibres.

Before his death Colin believed he may have been exposed to asbestos during his time working for building firm George Wimpey and Co, where he worked from 1963 to 1966, performing tasks at a number of sites around Derby, Stapleford and Nottingham Trent Bridge.

Colin recalled he spent three months working on a housing estate in Derby in 1963, which required him to use asbestolux sheeting and hand cut the material when working on house soffits, releasing dust and fibres into the atmosphere.

He also remembered working on a number of housing developments in Stapleford, Nottinghamshire during his time at George Wimpey & Co, where he was again required to cut asbestolux to size for use on soffits and in garages.

Towards the end of his employment with the building company he spent nine months working in the Trent Bridge area of Nottingham where he performed similar tasks.

Before he died, Colin told his legal team at Irwin Mitchell that he was not provided breathing equipment or protection, given any information on the dangers of asbestos, or training on safe handling of the material.

Satpal Singh, an expert asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing the family, said:

Expert Opinion
“The dangers of asbestos have been well known by companies for many decades yet all too often we hear from victims of asbestos exposure, like Colin, who were never warned about the substance.

“Colin believed he was exposed to asbestos while working as a joiner and carpenter at George Wimpey & Co in the 1960s and understandably his wife, Ann, and their two children, are looking for answers about where Colin was exposed and if more could have been done to protect him.

“We know from experience that asbestos was widely used in the building trade in the 1960s and we would now like to hear from any of Colin’s former colleagues at George Wimpey & Co who can detail the working conditions at the time and how Colin came into contact with the deadly substance.”
Satpal Singh, Associate

Ann, who was married to Colin for 53 years, said: “Our family has been absolutely devastated by Colin’s death and having to watch him deteriorate so rapidly during the final months of his life.

“It is so sad that his death was caused doing a job that he loved. Colin wanted to be a carpenter from an early age. 

“To find that he may have been exposed to asbestos simply by going to work has left us extremely angry and we want answers about how he came into contact with asbestos and why more wasn’t done to protect him.

“We hope those who worked with him in the 1960s at George Wimpey & Co will remember him and come forward with the information we need to get justice in his name.”

Anyone with information on working conditions at George Wimpey & Co sites around Derby and Nottingham should contact Nicole Ross on 0117 926 1509 or email