Lawyers Instructed After Woman Falls Ill Following Stay At Scarborough’s Grand Hotel

Investigations Begin Into Reports Of Outbreak

21.01.2015

Specialist lawyers who have helped holidaymakers gain justice regarding sickness problems at the Grand Hotel in Scarborough in the past have launched new investigations after being instructed by people who suffered illness following a stay at the hotel this month.

Irwin Mitchell’s specialist illness team is now representing a client who suffered gastric illness symptoms including nausea after staying at the hotel as part of a one-night mystery tour arranged to celebrate a friend’s birthday on January 10th this year.

The legal experts have heard first-hand accounts that staff at the hotel confirmed that an outbreak of norovirus was affecting the site when the coach tour arrived, as well as reports that no alternative or option to cancel the booking was offered.

Clients have also stated that there was a notice in reception about the outbreak from Public Health England and the client saw people with protective clothing on with masks in the hotel.

Irwin Mitchell’s illness team, who act for people affected by illness problems at hotels across the world and notably secured a five-figure settlement for guests affected by problems at the Grand Hotel in Scarborough in 2007, is now investigating the reports which have emerged.

Expert Opinion
We are very concerned by the reports which clients have raised in relation to their experience at this hotel earlier this year.

"The seriousness of the illness problems which have been reported should not be underestimated, as we have seen numerous cases when people have gone on to suffer serious long-term health problems after being affected by outbreaks. Such issues can also go on to cause massive disruption to people’s personal and working lives.

"As such, we have commenced investigations into these reports of illness and are determined to do what we can to help those who have contacted us to gain answers regarding the issues they have faced.

"Where possible, it is vital lessons are learned which could improve safety in the future."
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner