Family Call for Answers After Enduring Holiday Illness At Luxury Hotel

Holiday Illness At Beatriz Plaza hotel in Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote

29.11.2010

A family who were forced to boycott the restaurant of the luxury hotel they were staying at for fear of further harming their health are demanding answers and an apology from tour operator Thomas Cook.

After instructing Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, experts in travel law, David Powell, 48, told how he and his nine year old daughter Madison fell ill at their all inclusive break at the Beatriz Plaza hotel in Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote, suffering from severe stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

Speaking about their ordeal, David said: "General hygiene was a joke at the hotel, the toilets were filthy, there was a strong smell of raw sewage and the state of the cutlery and plates was appalling and they had thick layers of grease on them."

He said: "This was supposed to be an inclusive holiday but as I daren't eat in the restaurant for fear of Madison's health I had to spend extra money for meals outside the complex. It was totally out of order, the holiday cost more than a thousand pounds for two of us and there is no way I should have had to spend extra money, or to be worried sick about my daughter throughout the holiday. I want Thomas Cook to tell us why they sent us to this hotel; it really was the holiday from hell."

Thomas Cook owes David and his daughter an apology and an explanation said travel law experts law firm Irwin Mitchell, who are representing the family.

Lloyd Williams, of Irwin Mitchell, said: "It is totally unacceptable that this family got so ill whilst on holiday.  Our experiences indicate many people who suffer gastric illness abroad go onto to develop long term and in some cases permanent health problems.

"Thomas Cook needs to apologise to David and Madison and to recompense them for their suffering so they can put this horrendous experience behind them."

He added:"Tour operators need to ensure the hotels they use comply with applicable health and safety regulations, which are in place to protect their guests. An immediate review of hygiene standards at this hotel must be carried out to prevent others suffering in the same way."