Whether you are on holiday or on business, suffering an accident abroad is something that can happen to anyone at any time.

Accidents abroad can be a particularly stressful and inconvenient time. Suffering an injury in an unfamiliar country, dealing with travel insurance documents to ensure that any medical expenses are covered, overcoming any possible language barriers and missing out on your precious holiday time are all factors which only compound the problems that an accident can bring.

Often however, victims of accidents aboard are unsure as to their rights to claim compensation, believing that regulations in other countries differ from those in the UK. However, it is possible to claim for the majority of accidents suffered abroad.

You could be able to make a claim for any accident abroad, regardless of whether or not you had any form of insurance at the time of your accident and you could even make a claim for an accident which occurred during any sporting or adventure activities.

When could I claim for an accident abroad?

Irwin Mitchell can advise you on making a claim on a variety of accidents which occur overseas. These include:

  • Road accidents abroad

    Irwin Mitchell can provide expert advice on any road accidents abroad. This covers all forms of road traffic accidents, including bus and coach accidents and incidents occurring when you were driving either your own car or a hired vehicle.

  • Trips and falls

    One of the most common form of accidents abroad, Irwin Mitchell can advice on any claim for injuries sustained as a result of a trip or fall. This covers any trip or fall in a restaurant, bar, hotel or in an open public place.

  • Sporting accidents abroad

    Whilst many of us accept an element or risk when involved in sporting activities, you may still be entitled to compensation for any accidents that occur during sports or adventure activities where there is an act of negligence on the part of the organiser. This can include winter sports such as skiing and snowboarding.

  • Holiday illness

    Aside from advising on accidents abroad, Irwin Mitchell can also assist in a claim for any illnesses suffered whilst abroad, This typically relates to any viruses or food related illness in a hotel, restaurant or cruise ship.

Even if your accident abroad does not fit into any of the above categories, you could still be entitled to make a claim for compensation. Contact us today to get free, expert advice.

Can I make a claim for an accident abroad even if I didn′t have travel insurance?

You may be able to make a claim for compensation regardless of whether you had travel insurance at the time of your accident.

If your accident or illness occurred as a result of negligence by a third party, you could have grounds to a successful claim.

Irwin Mitchell′s dedicated advisors can assess the merits of your claim and provide expert advice and assistance. Complete a personal injury claim form today and see if you can claim for an accident abroad.

Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.


The above information relates to the law in England and Wales.

* Subject to entering into a ‘No Win No Fee’ agreement in conjunction with our Allianz Litigate insurance policy and complying with your responsibilities under its terms.

All Scottish cases will be handled by the Scottish law firm with which we are associated, Irwin Mitchell Scotland LLP. The law relating to funding is different in Scotland and you will receive separate advice about what that means as well as a separate funding agreement.

Call one of our experts free on

0800 056 4110

Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.