Concerns Over Latest Reports Of Illness At Playa Pesquero Hotel In Cuba
0370 1500 100

Concerns Over Latest Reports Of Illness At Playa Pesquero Hotel In Cuba

Travel Law Experts Express Concern after Holidaymakers Fall Ill As Former Guests Speak Out


Holidaymakers pursuing legal action after falling ill at a luxury Cuban resort say they are ‘disgusted’ at hearing of widespread illness problems surfacing once again at the hotel after it was reported that a number of British holidaymakers had been struck down with gastric symptoms in the last week.

Former guests who suffered illness at the Playa Pesquero Hotel in Cuba, including one 30-year-old man who suffered salmonella poisoning, have been horrified by reports over the weekend that up to18 people, including members of a wedding party, have required hospital treatment for severe dehydration through IV drips.

International travel law experts have secured nearly £50,000 in settlements for holidaymakers who were ill at the resort in 2008, 2009 and 2012, whilst legal action on behalf of people staying in 2013 is ongoing.

Expert Opinion
We are very concerned to hear reports over the weekend that so many holidaymakers appear to have fallen ill at this resort, with many reportedly requiring medical attention.

“We have successfully acted on behalf of holidaymakers who fell ill at this resort in 2008, 2009 and 2012 and we have been instructed in respect of this hotel as recently as November 2013.

“A number of the clients in the 2012 and 2013 cases have been diagnosed with salmonella food poisoning which can be very dangerous and can cause long-term gastric illness problems such as irritable bowel syndrome.”
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner

Philip Millar, from Weston-Super-Mare, has instructed Irwin Mitchell to investigate his case after he travelled to the Playa Pesquero Hotel in November last year and suffered severe gastric illness as a result of contracting Salmonella.

During his stay at the resort, the 30-year-old suffered from stomach cramps and diarrhoea, and upon his return to the UK was rushed to Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport.

Philip, who works in the police service, said: “Since my holiday I have been severely ill and had to take two months off from work due to ongoing symptoms and being tired all the time.

“I am disappointed to find out that so many other people may have fallen ill seemingly due to the conditions at the resort.

“I have instructed expert lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate as I am determined to see justice for what happened to me and I hope the latest holidaymakers get the support they need too.”

Sarah Jane Hulett, 38, and her husband Mark, from Clay Cross in Chesterfield,  travelled to the resort in July 2012 with their children Benjamin, 4, and Samuel, 2, to celebrate their friend’s wedding nuptials in what they believed would be a ‘premier’ Cuban resort in Holguin.

However, the festivities were ruined when Mark and the two children fell ill with diarrhoea, abdominal pain, fever and loss of appetite. Illness first struck the family just days into their holiday when Mark and the children began feeling sick. Throughout their stay at the resort their symptoms worsened and they were taken to see the hotel doctor and Mark was given an intravenous injection.

The Hulett family instructed travel law experts at Irwin Mitchell to pursue a case against tour operator First Choice after learning that the firm had also successfully represented holidaymakers who were ill at the hotel in both 2008 and 2009.

Sarah, a housewife said: “We had such a terrible experience at the resort and are disgusted to learn that there are others apparently suffering from similar problems just a couple of years later. It was meant to be a five-star hotel but the problems we encountered would make you think otherwise.

“The hotel restaurant was not what we expected after reading about it and seeing photographs. The food was sometimes undercooked with some hot food served lukewarm and some foods that should have been chilled not kept cold enough.

“To make matters worse, we saw some food which was left out completely uncovered for long periods of time and ants and flies were often seen buzzing around the food. Other animals such as dogs, cats and birds were regularly seen in the restaurant near to the food.

“We are happy and relieved that our legal team at Irwin Mitchell have secured a settlement for us and that the proceedings have now come to a close but I’d hate for others to suffer as we did.”

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.