The widow of a County Durham painter and decorator, who died of an asbestos-related disease, has received over £76,000 in compensation.
Raymond Pears died in January 2008 after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a terminal cancer of the lining of the lung caused by exposure to asbestos.
Mr Pears began to suffer from increasing shortness of breath and was referred to the Bishop Auckland Hospital to establish what was causing his symptoms. He was informed on 25 April 2007 that he had mesothelioma.
Mr Raymond Pears worked as a painter and decorator for James F Waites of Wingate, formerly Of Front Street, Wingate, County Durham, between 1960 and 1981. He was exposed to asbestos due to the artexing which was carried out in the vast majority of council properties which he was employed to paint and decorate.
The artex at this time contained asbestos. The actions of the artexers mixing the artex up prior to application would produce a large amount of dust which would have included asbestos dust inside of the properties. Mr Pears would always have to spend over an hour sweeping the skirting boards, scraping up any of the artex which had stuck to the walls and to the floor and would have to clean the dust off any mantelpieces or window ledges.
When the claim was issued, James F Waites of Wingate no longer existed, however their insurer was found and the company was reinstated for the purposes of litigation.
Mr Pears' settlement was achieved by Neil Wilkinson of Irwin Mitchell's specialist Asbestos Related Disease Team.
He said, "Mr Pears had a number of other conditions unrelated to asbestos which significantly reduced his life expectancy and therefore the settlement was not as high an award as would often be the case. Nevertheless, this amounted to good settlement in the circumstances of the individual case.
"However, given the nature of the illness no amount of compensation is ever really enough to provide adequate compensation for the family of those affected."
Back to Client Story