There are many reasons why you might find yourself in need of legal representation or advice regarding Education Law. Perhaps certain educational needs are not being met, either for you or your child, or, if you’re a teacher or you work for a school, you might need to respond to regulatory investigations, defend a claim or challenge funding decisions.
Regardless of the problem, you can rely on Irwin Mitchell to provide professional and friendly guidance and support, as well as effective legal representation through all stages of the process.
How Irwin Mitchell Can Help With Education Litigation
Our team of highly experienced education law solicitors is ready to help you address all aspects of your case. Much of our work is for clients who are denied access to education or their access to education is restricted. We can help you to:
- Appeal after your child was excluded from school or college, or if your child has been unlawfully excluded
- Arrange an alternative placement following an exclusion from school
- Challenge the failure of a school and/or the local authority to provide special educational needs
- Challenge the contents of your child’s statement of special education needs or Education and Health Care (EHC) plan to the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) tribunal
- Act after your child was refused entry to a school or college that can meet their special educational needs, as well as challenging funding decisions
- Make a disability discrimination claim – we can advise you if you believe your child may have been discriminated against by a school or college
- Get admission to a school or nursery after your child has been denied a place
- Challenge the failure to provide after school transport has been refused or the suitability of arrangements offered are not suitable
- Get help with difficulties surrounding the transition to adulthood
If you're a teacher or other faculty member, we can also help you to deal with a number of issues, including:
- If you or your school is under regulatory investigation
- You need to defend a claim
- You need to challenge a funding decision
- You’re involved in disputes regarding special educational needs provision
Our team can offer advice on how Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014 affects you - please follow this link for more information along with some useful factsheets and template letters.
How Our Education Solicitors Work
We understand that Education Law is under continual reform which can make people nervous or intimidated to take legal advice. However, our lawyers are experienced in dealing with all aspects of Education Law, and are here to provide you with explanations of the changes and work with you, to make sure your case is successful. Our knowledge and expertise means you can be confident that you have real experts fighting your corner.
We aim to resolve matters simply and quickly, outside court where possible, but we also understand that certain cases demand stronger action. Whatever the nature of your case, we're ready to offer both advice and solid legal representation, appropriate to your case and your needs.
Our experience of education law means that we are noted in leading independent guides to the legal profession, the Legal 500 and Chambers UK for our litigation work, and are members of the Education Law Association.
How Much Will It Cost?
When you contact us, we'll provide you with details on the different funding arrangements that may be suitable for your case and your own individual circumstances.
If you need to fund your case yourself, we'll provide a quote for the full cost of our work, including a breakdown of the legal work we'll carry out. We 'll also make sure you're kept up-to-date at all times with how much it will cost, so that there's no ‘surprises’.
Whatever your circumstances, you can be sure that our service will be carefully tailored to you. Our team of specialist education law solicitors is on hand to help you make your education case with confidence and ease.
We offer support on a wide range of legal issues around children - please download our brochure (PDF) to find out more.
In this video, Partner Yogi Amin explains the work that our Public Law team does.
Contact Us for Expert Advice
As one of the most complex fields of law, we understand that education law can be difficult to digest and understand and we're happy to give advice on your options. If you'd like further information and guidance, call us on 0800 028 1943 or contact us online.
"Irwin Mitchell is one of the leading firms in claimant education law."
Legal 500 2015
"They have a very thorough and broad knowledge of the relevant areas of the law and specialists within the firm for different situations.”
Chambers & Partners 2016