Compensation Claims Against The Council | Irwin Mitchell

Our expert personal injury lawyers will provide you with free initial advice on your compensation claim and with our No Win No Fee agreements there's no financial risk to you if you're unsuccessful*.

Councils and local authorities have a duty to make sure people are safe when on council property. When this duty of care fails, you can suffer personal injury, often due to a slip, trip or fall.

Our specialist solicitors have helped many clients to claim compensation after an accident on council property. Very often our clients have been injured because of the council’s failure to maintain roads and pavements, but we have also helped people to claim after accidents in parks, playgrounds and schools.

Get in touch with our team of experts todayContact us

Thousands of people are injured each year after accidents in public places that are maintained by councils. If you’re one of those people, our personal injury specialists could help you make a compensation claim against the council for your injuries.

How To Claim Compensation From A Council

If you are claiming for a trip or fall, and believe an uneven surface was responsible, we need evidence that:

  • Any pothole present was an inch deep or more
  • Any uneven paving stone was sticking up by an inch or more

Where possible, you should take photographs to act as evidence as conditions on the road or pavement are likely to change quickly when repair work is carried out. It will also help if you can give us the names and addresses of witnesses and also the incident number if the police were involved. Even if you don’t have any of this evidence, you should still contact us as we may be able to investigate your claim and reveal who was to blame.

What Irwin Mitchell Does To Help

"If I did not understand anything I would just ask him to explain things and he would explain it all to me." Peter, Sheffield
Read more client testimonials

We know that having an injury can be very disruptive to your day-to-day life. That’s why we aim to take some of this strain from you by handling your claim against the council in a professional and efficient way. We will always strive to:

  • Support you by explaining each stage of the claim in plain English, and helping you with any obligations you face as part of your case
  • Pursue claims to completion with dedication, making sure that you get the best possible settlement
  • Put your best interests first at all times

We will work hard to make sure you receive the right amount of compensation to account for the pain and hardship you have experienced, and the inconvenience caused to your daily lifestyle. If your injuries left you needing rehabilitation or physiotherapy, we can also help you access the top-quality support that you need.

Contact Us For Free Advice About Making A Claim Against The Council

As experts in claims against councils and local authorities, you can rely on us to help you to claim compensation and ensure that you receive the medical support that you need. Call us today or contact us online.


Legal 500

“Leading player" Irwin Mitchell "handles every case thoroughly and compassionately."

Legal 500 2015

Chambers 2016 

"They are excellent, very knowledgeable and considerate to their clients, in whom they take a personal interest."

Chambers & Partners 2016

Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.


The above information relates to the law in England and Wales.

* Subject to entering into a ‘No Win No Fee’ agreement in conjunction with our Allianz Litigate insurance policy and complying with your responsibilities under its terms.

All Scottish cases will be handled by the Scottish law firm with which we are associated, Irwin Mitchell Scotland LLP. The law relating to funding is different in Scotland and you will receive separate advice about what that means as well as a separate funding agreement.

Call our experts FREE on:

0800 056 4110

Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.

No Win No Fee